A couple questions about building your own AR-15 (caution: i'm clueless)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > A couple questions about building your own AR-15 (caution: i'm clueless)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A couple questions about building your own AR-15 (caution: i'm clueless)

Hey i'm curious what it takes to build an AR 15, also i'm curious about what i found on amazon, they're already assembled (i assume) and look like it will basically complete the rifle...but i'm clueless, if you guys could tell me what parts are necessary and if these parts could work, thanks.
Amazon.com: Smith & Wesson M&P-15 M4 Flat Top Upper 16": Everything Else

Amazon.com: Smith & Wesson Complete Lower w/Standard Trigger Group & Collaps: Everything Else

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Default We love to help build SUR's.

Both of the links refer to fully assembled lower & upper.

A lot of us start with a stripped lower, buy a lower parts kit and a stock assembly. Then purchase a fully assembled upper to mount on the lower.

The stripped lower has the serial number and the purchaser must take possession of the lower from someone with a Federal Firearms License, generally a local gun shop. Some gun shops stock lowers to sell, most will perform the transfer for a fee. I have seen the fee range from $10 to $50.

Once you have an assembled lower, there are many options available in calibers from 22LR to 458 SoCom.

A great place to start is reading the stickied threads at the top of the AR discussion section.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-build-ar-lower-receiver-4987/

We look forward to assisting you with your Sport Utility Rifle build.

Also, stop by the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 07-20-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added link to sticky

Old 07-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #3

Liked 1171 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Well you found the right place for any AR questions you may have. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people on this board that can answer any question you may have.

Those 2 links you show will work just fine together and create a completed gun although you will still need a scope or rear sight. However I think you could find a better price than the links especially if your willing to change your brand. The S&W would make a great AR-15 though no doubt about it.

I'm in the process of building my first AR-15. I'm doing exactly what Gatoragn said, building the lower and buying the upper. I'm looking at a total cost of under $1000 all said and done and that includes an upgraded trigger. You can save a bit by building your own lower and you learn a lot about your gun in the process. Also building the lower has not proven difficult, especially using that link in Gatoragn's post which shows step by step with pictures what you need to do.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #4

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Interesting that you can buy all the parts to build an AR from Amazon.com (and their partners). Didn't know that. But I agree with Gatoragn and Yunus that you can do much better and at a lower price. That S&W would be an ok AR but once you add iron sights you'd easily be at $1200 and for that you can get something special.

So start reading the AR threads and start defining exactly what you want your rifle to do. Then you can make better decisions and save money.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Those uppers were way over priced.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been doing the reseach on complete uppers for my first AR build too and I can say that $500 will get you a good upper that'll be all you want it to be. Combine that with a complete lower at around $300 and you're good to go. That's using iron sights, no optics involved. Those prices also don't include any magazines or ammo either.

Stag, Rock River, Del-ton, Armalite and Spikes Tactical are some of the brands I'm looking at.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 07-20-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #7

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Corey:

Nothing wrong with being clueless at the beginning of a new adventure. You have taken the right first steps in seeking the advice of others who have experienced the pitfalls and have the knowledge to share, not mere opinion but facts gleened from actually building an AR not simply parroting what they have read.

If you haven't done so I suggest reading through the posts and stickies in the AR forum. Lots of info there that will assist you with the build vs buy decision. As has been posted before building your own gives you firsthand knowledge of how the AR works and helps keep the total cost down since you build what you want, not upgrade what someone wants to sell you. Several of the real pros have already replied so I'll leave you in their capable hands and wish you good luck.

Just remember to document your progress and post up those pics and a range report.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #8

Thanks for the reponses i'm glad i found the right place. I'm probably just going to order that complete upper and complete lower because i have an amazon gift certificate which i'd much rather use than my own money. I found the bottom for $333 on amazon, complete with trigger and stock.

So, $333 for complete lower M&P 15, and for the complete M&P 15 upper, it's $730. Amazon.com: Smith & Wesson M&P-15 M4 Flat Top Upper 16": Sports & Outdoors . Should i go for it? Then just put it together when it comes, which it says complete so i probably just have to assemble the pieces together with a few pins.

I mean, i'm pretty set on not building my own just at the moment my life is very busy and complete parts on amazon is very convenient at the moment especially since i have a gift certificate to the website.

Also, i live in PA, we do not require registration of rifles, what do you think the amazon seller is going to do? I've actually already contacted him about is an FFL required or registration because it's optional about 16 hours ago and he's yet to reply. Magazines are on there for $20, there's also lots of sights and other accessories.

Thanks for your time guys.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #9

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

if ya want to go the cheapest way in building a plain jane ar-15 look at RGUNS.com website...they have complete uppers w/bolt 400.00 & 65.00 lowers,70.00 complete lower parts & then what ever fixed or collapsible stock's for around 40bucks...so @ less than 600bucks you can have a good shooting AR... the cash saved could be used to purchase ammo & godallmighty .223's are way over priced now!

sarcoinc.com has some pretty good deals on ar-15/m-16 parts kits for 399.00
! so if going this route w/65.00 lower from rguns. the sarcoinc.com parts kits got everything else to make your ar-15 complete for less than 500.00bucks

Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #10

Now my main concern is how this amazon seller would sell both of those, if it'd have to be FFL or not, i'm in PA, if anybody has an amazon account and could send the person a message and get a reply, i think he's ignoring me because my account name is "barrack obama" (16 years old don't ask) and i'm asking about how he's shipping it. If someone could message both company on my links and see what is required for them to ship to PA as far as FFL, registration, signature delivery, etc, i'd gladly buy you something small off amazon like a few speedloaders. Let me know.