Couple questions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Couple questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Couple questions

If you insert a round into the chamber with the upper separate and no bcg in, how far should the round insert itself into the chamber. Also, should the round freely fall out if you hold the upper vertical or should it stay in the chamber?

I've had an issue with my ar not feeding properly and I'm stumped. The gas tube/port are lined up right, the gas key slides over the gas tube without grinding or rubbing, and I have the proper buffer, yet I'm still having trouble. Sometimes it will shoot 4 rounds and then The bolt fails to travel back far enough to strip the next round. Sometimes the round wont eject. I'm wondering of maybe the cases are fitting too tight in the chamber? It's an ar stoner barrel and apparently people have problems with the cases getting stuck. I haven't had any get stuck (except one steel case) but I'm not sure what else my problem may be.

I checked the gas rings as well and they're all good.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5499 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

ar stoner doesnt have an even decent rep for any of their products.

most likely its a chamber issue. prolly has some burrs or was reamed too fast or reamed with a very worn chamber reamer. as a reamer gets used the reamer loses diameter making it cut the chamber rougher and tighter.

it does not surprise me ar/stoner would use a reamer to the last little bit. not even dpms cuts that sort of corner.

i would either get a better barrel or have someone ream it to 556 dimension with a good finish reamer.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Jpyle Likes This 
Old 09-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
If you insert a round into the chamber with the upper separate and no bcg in, how far should the round insert itself into the chamber. Also, should the round freely fall out if you hold the upper vertical or should it stay in the chamber?

I've had an issue with my ar not feeding properly and I'm stumped. The gas tube/port are lined up right, the gas key slides over the gas tube without grinding or rubbing, and I have the proper buffer, yet I'm still having trouble. Sometimes it will shoot 4 rounds and then The bolt fails to travel back far enough to strip the next round. Sometimes the round wont eject. I'm wondering of maybe the cases are fitting too tight in the chamber? It's an ar stoner barrel and apparently people have problems with the cases getting stuck. I haven't had any get stuck (except one steel case) but I'm not sure what else my problem may be.

I checked the gas rings as well and they're all good.
Possibly a dirty chamber. Steel cased ammo behaves differently than brass ammo. It doesn't expand the same as brass which allows some of the hot gases to blow back into the chamber. This can melt the coating on the steel casing which leaves a varnish-like residue on the chamber walls. It is this residue that heats up when the gun is fired again and will sometimes cause a brass casing to seize in the chamber or become difficult to extract. That extra effort to extract may also slow down the bolt recoil and cause a short stroke. Give the chamber a good scrubbing with a .223 chamber brush. If the Stoner barrel has a tight chamber to begin with that can aggravate the problem.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-20-2013, 03:35 AM   #4

It's not a dirty chamber because it's brand new and I only shot like 5 rounds with steel case just to see what it would do.

I wish I had known more about stoner when I bought it. It had good reviews midway so I thought what the hell. I was just looking for a plinking barrel to start.

Any idea what it would cost to get it reemed?

Does everything else I described sound okay? I don't think it could be a gas issue. I've gone over everything I can think of and now the chamber seems like the forerunner of culprits. That's what you get when you cut corners to cut cost.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:37 AM   #5

I was thinking I'd scrub it anyway and maybe polish it? I was reading another thread on here where someone with a stoner barrel was going to polish the chamber cause he was having issues with stuck brass.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5499 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

depends on the gunsmith in what they would charge.

my opinion i would contact midway about it. they are a steller outfit and might take a return on the thing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #7

I may try to return it. It's been over 60 days but I'll still get store credit. What's 100 bucks more for a better barrel with a better reputation. At the time I got it affordable barrels were hard to come by.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #8

Liked 141 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Read the thread below by SGT skrb 25. He built an AR for a friend who wanted to go w/an AR Stoner. Apparently the chamber was heavily coated with phosphate and will have to be polished out.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #9

Liked 574 Times on 306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog
Read the thread below by SGT skrb 25. He built an AR for a friend who wanted to go w/an AR Stoner. Apparently the chamber was heavily coated with phosphate and will have to be polished out.
Here I am! Try to polish it out, unless you can return it. If not, just get a brush wheel for a dremel and make sure you don't gouge. It's best if you have the barrel out. It's hard to try to get in there if its still in the upper receiver. I just use the brush wheel to get the phosphate/ burs out, then come in with some polish compound and a polish wheel and finish it off. .

Old 09-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25

Here I am! Try to polish it out, unless you can return it. If not, just get a brush wheel for a dremel and make sure you don't gouge. It's best if you have the barrel out. It's hard to try to get in there if its still in the upper receiver. I just use the brush wheel to get the phosphate/ burs out, then come in with some polish compound and a polish wheel and finish it off. .
I would rather polish it out but I don't have the tools to do it properly and I don't want to eff it up. Thanks for the tips though. I'll be able to return it for store credit. Now I know to steer clear of stoner barrels.