A couple of AR questions.. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

A couple of AR questions..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3580 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1782

Smoky,

Cane has certainly explained the feeling and reward of building your own. The lower takes no specialty tolls to build. So you certainly could buy a good quality lower and have it transferred through a dealer close to you. They will probably charge a transfer fee. But better yet go to a larger gun show close and buy a good name brand lower at the show. But do not forget to barter a little with the seller. Sometimes it works! As far as the upper it will take a few specialty tools like a barrel nut wrench and the barrel must be tightened to a minimum of 35 ft. lbs which is very important. Usually you will go tighter than 35 ft. lbs. just to get the barrel nut lined up so the gas tube will go into the receiver. *It must be perfectly aligned! For some I suggest just to buy a basic complete upper and this will eliminate any problems with the need to get special tools and on occasion clearance problems with the carrier and lower receiver components, head space and etc. (Or you could find someone with the barrel nut tool and torque wrench that could install the barrel for you.) As far as putting quad rails on it is no problem. There are two piece units that simply replace the standard hand guards. Also the true M-4 Hanguards do not taper and are larger than the cheaper small AR Hand Guards. The low profile gas block should probably be done by someone with experience since at times the standard front sight housing can be a problem to get off and should be done with a taper pin punch. A small bubble level is also needed to assure the weaver gas block with the picatinny rail for the front sight is level with the upper A-4 Receiver. We certainly can walk you through it if you choose to do that later on. You have a lot of us here that are very knowledgeable about the AR Rifle. I guess if you have a good chance to buy a "good quality" complete rifle at a good price that would be great since your time is limited. Although a good rifle can be built in a few good evenings of work. And the assistance of someone with the tools you would need regarding the barrel assembly.
Good Luck!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Changing out the FSP for a Low profile GB is as easy as plugging in your Dremmel. You don't even have to take the FSP off of the barrel.

Tools: Purchase an AR wrench. I always keep one in the range bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #13

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

What's the deal with this hand guard tool? It seems everyone has them I never had a problem taking them off with my hands.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Wow, you're pretty fast!
I assume it's a two piece snap in like the MOE. If it requires anything other than that, I'll go back to my first statement until further notice.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
What's the deal with this hand guard tool? It seems everyone has them I never had a problem taking them off with my hands.
This is the one I use, it works like a piece of cake.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/383769/promag-handguard-removal-tool-ar-15-synthetic-black

Can you do it without the tool? Sure, but the tool saves a lot of wear & tear on your fingers. It's way, way easier with the tool.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
This is the one I use, it works like a piece of cake.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/383769/promag-handguard-removal-tool-ar-15-synthetic-black

Can you do it without the tool? Sure, but the tool saves a lot of wear & tear on your fingers. It's way, way easier with the tool.
Does it scratch the ring up at all? Or is that a coating?

Member:

Old 03-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Does it scratch the ring up at all? Or is that a coating?
Nope, it's a synthetic material with rubber on the two prongs. It doesn't put a single mark on your gun. You use it as lever to push the the handguard ring down.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #18

Thanks snake maybe I'll have to break down and order me one.

Member:

Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Thanks snake maybe I'll have to break down and order me one.
No problem, always glad to help! Unless you're buying it with some other stuff, be sure to shop around before you buy it at Midway. They kind of break-it-off in you on freight with small orders. I think I saw this very same tools for less on Amazon recently and their freight is always more reasonable.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #20

Yeah I don't order much from midway I usually go through Amazon or a couple of other smaller gun sites. Their shipping is redonkulious.

Member: