copper deposits on barrel extention
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > copper deposits on barrel extention

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default copper deposits on barrel extention

was wondering if this is normal. i noticed copper deposits where the bolt and the barrel extension meet. shot 80 rounds on a new gun, bushmaster m4 is what i have. I'm new so forgive my ignorance. i did a search and found nothing.

joe

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #2

If you didn't follow the proper break-in procedure, the barrel is gonna have some machining marks from where the rifling was cut, this can cause quite a bit of copper fouling. Did you do any sort of breaking-in of the barrel?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #3

just for my own sake at the least...what is the proper way to break in a barrel?

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 12-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #4

Fire a round, clean the barrel. Do that for 25 rounds. Then start shooting 3 rounds in between cleanings until your up to 50 rounds, then do 5 rounds in between cleaning until your up to 100 rounds. The point of doing this is to try to get the burrs from machining the rifling out before any amount of copper is allowed to build up.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #5

sweet...i'm glad i found that out before i went shootin...now i just need to get a boresnake and i'll be set

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 12-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #6

Boresnakes are nice to take to the range and pull through every once in a while if your shooting a lot of rounds, but for a good cleaning, they're not the best. You'd be much better to get a good one piece rod with a free spinning handle, a copper brush, and a jag tip.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 12-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #7

yeah i got a niice like 40something piece cleaning kit which i'll use when i get home along with my fav hops #9 but while i'm at the range breakin in i figure a boresnake would be fine....right?

Old 12-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #8

I wouldn't think so, but there are others here that would be better to ask on something like that. JD, Slo, all you other guys who have way too much knowledge for one brain, what say you? Boresnake good for breaking in a barrel?

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 12-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
If you didn't follow the proper break-in procedure, the barrel is gonna have some machining marks from where the rifling was cut, this can cause quite a bit of copper fouling. Did you do any sort of breaking-in of the barrel?

-Fred
shot 20 rounds one at a time not getting crazy, cleaned, shot 40 more, cleaned. shot 20 more now about to clean weapon.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownhero82 View Post
yeah i got a niice like 40something piece cleaning kit which i'll use when i get home along with my fav hops #9 but while i'm at the range breakin in i figure a boresnake would be fine....right?
Hey bradda, an Otis might do you better. Keeps you from dragging the fouling back through it each time.