Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   copper deposits on barrel extention (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/copper-deposits-barrel-extention-21480/)

talbertjm 12-25-2009 07:36 PM

copper deposits on barrel extention

was wondering if this is normal. i noticed copper deposits where the bolt and the barrel extension meet. shot 80 rounds on a new gun, bushmaster m4 is what i have. I'm new so forgive my ignorance. i did a search and found nothing.

joe

FCross7 12-25-2009 11:11 PM

If you didn't follow the proper break-in procedure, the barrel is gonna have some machining marks from where the rifling was cut, this can cause quite a bit of copper fouling. Did you do any sort of breaking-in of the barrel?

-Fred

unknownhero82 12-25-2009 11:33 PM

just for my own sake at the least...what is the proper way to break in a barrel?

FCross7 12-25-2009 11:50 PM

Fire a round, clean the barrel. Do that for 25 rounds. Then start shooting 3 rounds in between cleanings until your up to 50 rounds, then do 5 rounds in between cleaning until your up to 100 rounds. The point of doing this is to try to get the burrs from machining the rifling out before any amount of copper is allowed to build up.

-Fred

unknownhero82 12-25-2009 11:52 PM

sweet...i'm glad i found that out before i went shootin...now i just need to get a boresnake and i'll be set:D

FCross7 12-25-2009 11:57 PM

Boresnakes are nice to take to the range and pull through every once in a while if your shooting a lot of rounds, but for a good cleaning, they're not the best. You'd be much better to get a good one piece rod with a free spinning handle, a copper brush, and a jag tip.

-Fred

unknownhero82 12-26-2009 12:00 AM

yeah i got a niice like 40something piece cleaning kit which i'll use when i get home along with my fav hops #9 :D but while i'm at the range breakin in i figure a boresnake would be fine....right?

FCross7 12-26-2009 12:14 AM

I wouldn't think so, but there are others here that would be better to ask on something like that. JD, Slo, all you other guys who have way too much knowledge for one brain, what say you? Boresnake good for breaking in a barrel?

-Fred

talbertjm 12-26-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7 (Post 204243)
If you didn't follow the proper break-in procedure, the barrel is gonna have some machining marks from where the rifling was cut, this can cause quite a bit of copper fouling. Did you do any sort of breaking-in of the barrel?

-Fred

shot 20 rounds one at a time not getting crazy, cleaned, shot 40 more, cleaned. shot 20 more now about to clean weapon.

hillbilly68 12-26-2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknownhero82 (Post 204260)
yeah i got a niice like 40something piece cleaning kit which i'll use when i get home along with my fav hops #9 :D but while i'm at the range breakin in i figure a boresnake would be fine....right?

Hey bradda, an Otis might do you better. Keeps you from dragging the fouling back through it each time.