Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Converting up from 22lr? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/converting-up-22lr-73497/)

WannaBeVagabomd 10-01-2012 02:32 PM

Converting up from 22lr?

I got my S&W M&P in the other day and it works great. But for future reference I'd like to know if if it's possible to change the caliber up (I know you can convert any to 22, just not sure if the opposite is true). I want to convert it to something above 5.56, but not to a full sniper round, so if you have any suggestions. Also I saw a titanium receiver and I was wondering if I could switch them out. Thanks.

JonM 10-01-2012 02:37 PM

No you cant. There is no buffer tube for the bcg to recoil into.

c3shooter 10-01-2012 02:41 PM

In addition to no buffer, there is, I do believe, a size difference on the width of the uppers between .22lr and larger caliber guns. No fit.

fsted2a 10-01-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeVagabomd (Post 960261)
I got my S&W M&P in the other day and it works great. But for future reference I'd like to know if if it's possible to change the caliber up (I know you can convert any to 22, just not sure if the opposite is true). I want to convert it to something above 5.56, but not to a full sniper round, so if you have any suggestions. Also I saw a titanium receiver and I was wondering if I could switch them out. Thanks.

Probably not. From what I have read in other forums and in magazines, there are just so many proprietary parts in both the upper and lower on M&P .22LR that you would spend more money on the conversion than it would be to just buy a regular AR.

WannaBeVagabomd 10-01-2012 02:59 PM

I guess my my little day dream will take a bit longer. My bad, it was an aluminum receiver. What parts are useable would you say?

WannaBeVagabomd 10-01-2012 03:03 PM

And by that I mean what would I have to buy new and what could I scavenge off it when necessary. The handguard and stock be nice.

jjfuller1 10-01-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeVagabomd (Post 960294)
And by that I mean what would I have to buy new and what could I scavenge off it when necessary. The handguard and stock be nice.

i think your best bet would be to keep the .22 as is for a fun cheaper plinking rifle, and do a complete build for your larger calibered rifle. you would be able to pick and choose what parts you want for your larger rifle. while still being able to shoot the elcheapo ammo in a similiar platform. doing this will give you 2 good rifles, you knowing you made the rifle the way you want it, and lots of practice time.

WannaBeVagabomd 10-01-2012 03:21 PM

Visually speaking, I know what I want, but I'm not sure about functionality. The best I could say is a light rifle in a good sized caliber that's good for the standing position.
Looking for a balance of maneuverability and range I guess.

Quentin 10-01-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeVagabomd (Post 960261)
... I want to convert it to something above 5.56, but not to a full sniper round, so if you have any suggestions...

Please be perfectly clear. Do you have the M&P15-22 or not? Polymer receivers? Makes a big difference.

WannaBeVagabomd 10-01-2012 04:00 PM

Yeah, I do. I just thought about changing it piece by piece until I got to what I want.