Converting to flat top - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Converting to flat top

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 02:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

My reason for wanting to do it is that I don't want my front sight cowitnessed in my red dot all the time. I find it distracting. I would rather have magpul flip up buis for when I need them and have a clear field of view when using just the dot. I was thinking about takin a dremel too it myself. I'll have to strip it down and take a look. Thanks for the replys.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
To the guys who want to remove the standard FSB... Why? You should have very clear cut reasons before doing this. Not saying it's wrong to do for certain applications but usually is not necessary.
I have a Bushnell Holosight I wish to put on when I get home from school in a few weeks. I just have a feeling that that I won't like the cowitness of the front sight and optic. Just trying to weigh the options.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

"Fear is a sickness. It will crawl into the soul of anyone who engages it."

From Long Island? Check out LItactical.com forum!!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #13

Liked 1020 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgand72 View Post
I have a Bushnell Holosight I wish to put on when I get home from school in a few weeks. I just have a feeling that that I won't like the cowitness of the front sight and optic. Just trying to weigh the options.
I'd sure give it a try first, you may find you like it just fine. I do. Also if you go with a bottom 1/3 cowitness you can flip down the rear BUIS and the dot tends to float above the front post which I don't find distracting.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I'd sure give it a try first, you may find you like it just fine. I do. Also if you go with a bottom 1/3 cowitness you can flip down the rear BUIS and the dot tends to float above the front post which I don't find distracting.
I was actually going to ask about the 1/3 cowitness. This may be a stupid question, but bear with me here: With a 1/3 cowitness, do I have to look through the rear buis to aim properly, or can I line up well enough looking through the lens of the holosight?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have mine set-up where it co-witnesses right smack dab in the middle but with the rear sight flipped down, the front post is a non issue to me, sometimes forget it's there

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Last edited by ZombieKiller83; 03-01-2012 at 02:33 AM.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgand72 View Post
I was actually going to ask about the 1/3 cowitness. This may be a stupid question, but bear with me here: With a 1/3 cowitness, do I have to look through the rear buis to aim properly, or can I line up well enough looking through the lens of the holosight?
When you're using optic, your rear sight should be flipped down and you use the optic's reticle for target aquisition. Your buis is for that situation where your optic goes down during a course of fire and you need a quick solution to stay on target so you would flip your rear up and use the irons.

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

Last edited by ZombieKiller83; 03-01-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83 View Post
When you're using optic, your rear sight should be flipped down and you use the optic's reticle for target aquisition. Your buis is for that situation where your optic goes down during a course of fire and you need a quick solution to stay on target so you would flip your rear up and use the irons.
So, with a 1/3 co witness, would I zero the optic and irons for the same distance or different distances?

~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgand72

So, with a 1/3 co witness, would I zero the optic and irons for the same distance or different distances?
That would be your decision to make. You can zero either one at whatever distance you prefer as one does not rely on the other. 1/3 co witness means that while your optic is attached to the gun, the irons will be visible through the bottom 1/3 of the optic which would mean that if your optic were to go down in the middle of a firefight, you would not be required to remove the optic in order to use the iron sights allowing for a very quick transition to stay in the fight. Do you need co witnessed buis, no. Do you need buis at all, no but is it a good idea on both accounts, absolutely. Unless you plan on trusting your life to your rifle, I'd say you could skip the buis if don't want to deal with it.