Converting to flat top
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Converting to flat top

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default Converting to flat top

I have a dpms ap4 with removable carry handle and a front post sight. I'm trying to remove the front post so I can mount buis instead. I've googled and youtubed looking for help. Anyone done this before. I'm wondering mostly about what you do with the gas tube as it appears it is mounted into the post. Any ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Actually the gas tube and the sight tower are attached to the gas block.

I think you would be better off buying a complete flat-top upper.

And jump over to the Introduction section and say hi.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #3

I have been thinking about getting rid of the front sight post as well.

Can I replace the front sight post/gas block with a low profile gas block? It just seems too simple. Can anyone offer an explanation here?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

"Fear is a sickness. It will crawl into the soul of anyone who engages it."

From Long Island? Check out LItactical.com forum!!

Last edited by jgand72; 02-28-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5510 Times on 2877 Posts
Likes Given: 358

The only danger is smacking the pins too hard and bending the barrel. There are delrin type blocks that arent terribly pricey that support the barrel and fsb for driving the pins out safely. They typically go left to right if im not mistaken.

The two drift pins are tapered one side is wider than the other so have to be knocked out in a specific direction.

You can do it if your super careful without a block but its like a three handed job.

Installing a low profile gas block is very easy.

That being said... there is no real reason other than looks to get rid of the fixed fsb. Any magnified device the fsb will disappear in your view. For 1x devices most people like it there for lower 1/3 cowitness

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-28-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Do you have a dremel? Remove the OE hand guard and gas tube then get to making a low profile gas block out of the existing one. It's easy and pinned on is better than a replacement set screw block.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 02-28-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Knock the pin out that holds th sight on. Pinch the sight between two blocks of wood in a vise wd-40 the barrel. Set a block of wood on the muzzle and hit it. The gas tube will come out with the front sight post. I find it easier to pull the gas tube after the sight is off. Installing a new one make sure your holes are lined up I use compressed air to gauge when they are perfectly lined up.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

There is a lazy cheapo (!me!) alternative.

I used a dremel to cut the front sight off, and grinded it smooth. without removing the front sight post. Special care must be taken to not cut too low into the gas block portion of the front sight post. (its not hard to figure out) There are many youtube vids on this, and it was a simple and free option (if you already have the tools)

I used some black rattle can brake pint to touch up the newly exposed metal and never looked back. Tho the touch up really isn't too necessary if you put a rail or handguard over your new low pro gas block. You can't even see it with a handgaurd or rail covering it.

Bonuses!

+1 cheap
+1 don't have to remove it first (lazy)
+1 your new low profile gas block is pinned (good)
+1 fast! (relative)
+1 cheap!
+1 you did it yourself!
+1 did i mention it was cheap?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #8

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Do you have a dremel? Remove the OE hand guard and gas tube then get to making a low profile gas block out of the existing one. It's easy and pinned on is better than a replacement set screw block.
ya what MJ said.... >.<

Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #9

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 983

To the guys who want to remove the standard FSB... Why? You should have very clear cut reasons before doing this. Not saying it's wrong to do for certain applications but usually is not necessary.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
To the guys who want to remove the standard FSB... Why? You should have very clear cut reasons before doing this. Not saying it's wrong to do for certain applications but usually is not necessary.
True, nothing makes a better low profile gas block like a shaven FSP.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."