Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Converting to flat top (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/converting-flat-top-59016/)

Kdub 02-28-2012 07:47 PM

Converting to flat top

I have a dpms ap4 with removable carry handle and a front post sight. I'm trying to remove the front post so I can mount buis instead. I've googled and youtubed looking for help. Anyone done this before. I'm wondering mostly about what you do with the gas tube as it appears it is mounted into the post. Any ideas?

canebrake 02-28-2012 07:51 PM

Actually the gas tube and the sight tower are attached to the gas block.

I think you would be better off buying a complete flat-top upper.

And jump over to the Introduction section and say hi.

jgand72 02-28-2012 08:14 PM

I have been thinking about getting rid of the front sight post as well.

Can I replace the front sight post/gas block with a low profile gas block? It just seems too simple. Can anyone offer an explanation here?:confused:

JonM 02-28-2012 08:20 PM

The only danger is smacking the pins too hard and bending the barrel. There are delrin type blocks that arent terribly pricey that support the barrel and fsb for driving the pins out safely. They typically go left to right if im not mistaken.

The two drift pins are tapered one side is wider than the other so have to be knocked out in a specific direction.

You can do it if your super careful without a block but its like a three handed job.

Installing a low profile gas block is very easy.

That being said... there is no real reason other than looks to get rid of the fixed fsb. Any magnified device the fsb will disappear in your view. For 1x devices most people like it there for lower 1/3 cowitness

mjkeat 02-28-2012 08:54 PM

Do you have a dremel? Remove the OE hand guard and gas tube then get to making a low profile gas block out of the existing one. It's easy and pinned on is better than a replacement set screw block.

hmh 02-28-2012 09:00 PM

Knock the pin out that holds th sight on. Pinch the sight between two blocks of wood in a vise wd-40 the barrel. Set a block of wood on the muzzle and hit it. The gas tube will come out with the front sight post. I find it easier to pull the gas tube after the sight is off. Installing a new one make sure your holes are lined up I use compressed air to gauge when they are perfectly lined up.

AgentTikki 02-28-2012 09:33 PM

There is a lazy cheapo (!me!) alternative.

I used a dremel to cut the front sight off, and grinded it smooth. without removing the front sight post. Special care must be taken to not cut too low into the gas block portion of the front sight post. (its not hard to figure out) There are many youtube vids on this, and it was a simple and free option (if you already have the tools)

I used some black rattle can brake pint to touch up the newly exposed metal and never looked back. Tho the touch up really isn't too necessary if you put a rail or handguard over your new low pro gas block. You can't even see it with a handgaurd or rail covering it.

Bonuses!

+1 cheap
+1 don't have to remove it first (lazy)
+1 your new low profile gas block is pinned (good)
+1 fast! (relative)
+1 cheap!
+1 you did it yourself!
+1 did i mention it was cheap?

AgentTikki 02-28-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 723425)
Do you have a dremel? Remove the OE hand guard and gas tube then get to making a low profile gas block out of the existing one. It's easy and pinned on is better than a replacement set screw block.

ya what MJ said.... >.<

Quentin 02-28-2012 10:35 PM

To the guys who want to remove the standard FSB... Why? You should have very clear cut reasons before doing this. Not saying it's wrong to do for certain applications but usually is not necessary.

mjkeat 02-29-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
To the guys who want to remove the standard FSB... Why? You should have very clear cut reasons before doing this. Not saying it's wrong to do for certain applications but usually is not necessary.

True, nothing makes a better low profile gas block like a shaven FSP.