Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > considering first buy and first build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default considering first buy and first build

I am considering buying my first AR-15 kit attached is a list of my cart with all options included. Any input on the credibility of the site ar-15kits.com or the list of options in the cart i have selected would be greatly appreciated. if anyone can suggest a better build please do so, i would like to keep the total price under $700.00.

AR15 CAR 15 Kit $495.50 "base price"
$564.00 "final build price"
+ A-3 Flat Top with T marks
+ Standard Chrome Moly HBAR
+ SPR Pistol Grip $25.50
+ AR-15 A-2 Standard Front Sight post
+ Phantom Flash Hider add $27.50
+ CAR Handguards
+ Standard bolt, carrier, charging handle
+ 6 Position Buttstock
+ Two Finger Tac Latch $15.50

Last edited by ozzifuss; 10-03-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #2

I checked out del-co as well found a rifle with alot of the same stuff some i like more in fact. also it was cheaper

Item Name: 16" Rifle Kit
Item Price: $524.00
Options:
16 Rifle Kit /Rifle -Barrel: DTI 16" 1x9 Heavy Barrel
16 Rifle Kit / Rifle -Handguards: M4 Handguards with Double Heat Shields - Black
Rifle Kit / Rifle -BC: Standard Bolt & Carrier
Rifle Kit / Rifle -Buttstock: M4 Buttstock - Black
Rifle Kit / Rifle -Grips: Magpul MOE Grip - Black
Rifle Kit / Rifle-Carrying Handle: None
Rifle Kit / Rifle-Flash Hiders: Phantom Flash Hider
Rifle Kit / Rifle-Gas Blocks: F-Marked Front Sight Base
Rifle Kit / Rifle-Lower Parts: Standard Lower Parts
Rifle Kit / Rifle-T Handle: Standard Charging Handle
Rifle Kit / Rifle-Uppers: Flat Top Upper with M4 Feed Ramps

Old 10-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #3

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

del-co? Del-Ton?

Links directly to your two choices would help.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #4

Del-ton- Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Rifle Kit
I am just gonna go ahead and forget about considering the ar-15kits.com build. i just seem to like the del-ton stuff more. any opinions on the del-ton kit? i cant link my cart with my choices pre selected but i have them listed above.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzifuss View Post
Del-ton- Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Rifle Kit
I am just gonna go ahead and forget about considering the ar-15kits.com build. i just seem to like the del-ton stuff more. any opinions on the del-ton kit? i cant link my cart with my choices pre selected but i have them listed above.
There are a couple of threads going over in the AR-15 section of AR15.com and it seems the people that who own Del-Ton's highly praise them for accuracy and performance. A "kit" gun will only be as good as your skills in assembling it. If you do everything right it will be fine, but it DOES require for you to use the right tools and skills to make sure all is as it should be if you expect it to function properly. For the money though, the Del-Ton should serve you well.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The ARs ability to "serve you well" depends entirely on the owners use. A Del-Ton would not in any way be included in my list.

I don't like when guys new to ARs purchase these kits made from these manufacturers. They get stuck w/ a sub par kit and develope a bad oppinion on ARs.

Look to see if they even list the materials/steel their products are made of if they even list them. Then go to a manufacturer of knowm quality like Daniel Defence or BCM and do some compairing. You'll quickly see a seperation in quality.

We don't all need "combat ready" firearms by why not when the prices are not all that different.

There are good places to go for info and then there are not so good places.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #7

thx for the heads up. i looked at both retailers and daniel defense seems to only sell m4's for $1,500+/- and bcm is back logged. Do you know of a reputable company for around the same price that sells a kit with everything i need in it? i would prefer a kit since this being my first buy i dont want to forget something and get my packages in the mail only to have to wait for more stuff to arrive after i figure out i forgot part of a lower assembly or something of the sort.

Last edited by ozzifuss; 10-03-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #8

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

I don't like the idea of a "kit" AR, the reason being that someone else chose the parts and had a price point they were aiming at. Now a "lower parts kit" is different since LPKs of high quality can be found.

Of course you have a price point you're aiming at as well but I think with enough research you can do a better job of pulling together an AR within your budget. The important thing to remember is down the road you tend to forget the cost of an item but low quality will haunt you forever.

Check out Spikes and PSA as their prices are good and quality seems to be, thoubh I haven't bought from either. Since you mentioned Daniel Defense, look at smartgunner.com. OOS for quality parts tends to be a problem often.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:11 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzifuss View Post
thx for the heads up. i looked at both retailers and daniel defense seems to only sell m4's for $1,500+/- and bcm is back logged. Do you know of a reputable company for around the same price that sells a kit with everything i need in it? i would prefer a kit since this being my first buy i dont want to forget something and get my packages in the mail only to have to wait for more stuff to arrive after i figure out i forgot part of a lower assembly or something of the sort.
BCM products sell out fast and for good reason. They are very high quality and priced to move. Be patient. You can also check some of the WTS threads on various forums.

Like Quentin said check out smartgunner and Palmetto State Armory. PSA is value priced and of decent quality.