Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Considering an AR-15 .22lr build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/considering-ar-15-22lr-build-69891/)

canyon289 08-08-2012 05:33 AM

Considering an AR-15 .22lr build

I'm relatively new to the world of gun shooting and I've been noticing a lot of AR-15's at my range. I've been looking into piecing one together for the fun of it and had some questions. FYI I live in California.

I plan to shoot .22lr most of the time but would like the option to shoot .223 if the situation arises. I've been doing some research and it looks like for a simple build I just need to put together an upper and a lower.

So my questions are

If I buy these two pieces and put them together will I have a functioning 22 rifle?
http://www.riflegear.com/p-883-cmmg-m4-le-22-lr-evolution-upper.aspx

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1388-new-frontier-lw-15-complete-polymer-lower.aspx

Also I see videos like this where a guy just switches a bolt and a magazine. Would this be possible with the upper and lower combination I posted?

Lastly any comments on the choice of upper and lower? I'll be upfront and say, I picked the cheapest two on the site but the reviews look ok. I'm still reading through the stickies and threads, any advice is appreciated!

russ 08-08-2012 06:04 AM

The upper you listed is a dedicated .22lr upper, meaning it can't be switched out to shoot .223/5.56. I have that same upper and it has been great, so don't rule it out just because of that.

I don't know anything about the particular lower you listed, so I'll reserve any comments on that. I would think however, that it would be perfectly fine for a .22 rifle build.

Consider buying a complete CMMG rifle in .22lr. I believe you have the option of selecting a standard mil-spec lower (they offer a dedicated .22lr lower as well) that would allow you to add a complete .223/5.56 upper.

dog2000tj 08-08-2012 01:41 PM

as russ stated a dedicated .22 upper will not be useful if you wish to shoot .223/5.56 in the future. But that's not to say it is a bad investment.

An AR15 lower will work with both a .22 upper and a .223/5.56 upper. What you can do is get a .223/5.56 AR and a .22 conversion kit - http://www.riflegear.com/p-516-cmmg-22-conversion-kit-bravo.aspx (this particular kit gets very good reviews/recommendations). Or you can get the .22 AR and then purchase a separate .223/5.56 upper in the future.

Is there any particular reason you want to use a polymer lower? For the same money, maybe even less if you find a deal you can get one in aluminum which would e much stronger.

canyon289 08-09-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 896961)

Is there any particular reason you want to use a polymer lower? For the same money, maybe even less if you find a deal you can get one in aluminum which would e much stronger.

It's cheap, I don't mind buying multiple lower and uppers in the future, but I want to buy one now in case they get banned again.

purehavoc 08-09-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canyon289 (Post 897525)
It's cheap, I don't mind buying multiple lower and uppers in the future, but I want to buy one now in case they get banned again.

Depending on what your looking at spending and what you want to do with it there are several ways to go .
Option 1 cheaper dedicated AR22 rifle , accurate and proper barrel rifling for that exact configuration, downfalls cannot be converted to .223 like you want and you just have a .22lr

Option #2 buy a decent AR15 and buy the conversion kit , they can be had for $129 if you do some shopping and all you have to do is swap the bolt and magazine which takes about 10 seconds for the swap. Pros for this configuration is you basically have 2 rifles in one configuration that can be swapped quickly and fairly cheap and will still allow other caliber configurations buy purchaing another caliber upper
downfall the rifling is not configured for .22lr and not "considered as accurate" . I will cal BS on this one I can keep 25 rounds in a 3" circle and most of those are in a 2" circle both at 60 yards. I say thats pretty accurate for what your working with .
For a SHTF scenerio my setup is option 2 packs easier , lighter and will more than do what I expect of it

Option 3 buy a AR15 in 5.56 / .223 and buy a dedicated .22lr upper
Pros of this setup are both barrel will be as or more accurate than the shooter ever will be . You wont have to worry about lead buildup or gas tube clog up in your .223 barrel because you wont be shooting .22lr thru it and will still allow other caliber configurations buy purchasing another caliber upper.
Cons its more expensive and if you intend to take both to the range you will be packing in more stuff .

dog2000tj 08-09-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canyon289 (Post 897525)

Ok, it's a free country .... for now :p

But I would opt to invest in a good quality mil spec multi-cal marked lower. This would leave you the option of adding any compatible caliber upper later on ... and there are a lot of calibers available :eek:

.223/5.56 multi cal lower now - add a .22lr dedicated upper now
.223/5.56 multi cal lower now - add a .223/5.56 dedicated upper later
.223/5.56 multi cal lower now - http://dpmsinc.3dcartstores.com/Tactical-Rifles_ep_70-1.html

*not advocating DPMS as the brand of choice, just pointing out the number of upper options available

I have brought you to the water ..... drinking is your option ;)

sweeper22 08-09-2012 05:17 PM

Your gun, your money, your budget. So everything I say is relative to my own preferences.

I would buy a complete S&W M&P 15-22 for a 22lr version. It's sort of "the standard" for reasonably priced 22lr AR-15 quality in my mind. Then I'd get to work on the 5.56. I'd suggest a build, but there are plenty of good complete guns if that's not your thing...even a big brother M&P 15, as they seem to offer solid guns at just about every price point between $600-1800.

BTW- I don't own a S&W rifle and never have. But I've been pretty impressed with the ones I've shot. I'd like to add a 15-22 at some point.

canyon289 08-11-2012 12:02 AM

I've seen good prices on the Mossberg Tactical 22. Is this gun compatible with most AR parts

jnhfrahm 08-11-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canyon289
I've seen good prices on the Mossberg Tactical 22. Is this gun compatible with most AR parts

I have a mossberg tactical 22. It is a plinkster in a molded plastic "ar" form. It is screwed together and comes apart in 2 pieces. Good 22 for the money just not as detailed as the colt or smith.

fsted2a 08-14-2012 07:31 PM

My suggestion if you are going with a kit of some type- get an adjustable gas block so that the gas can be adjusted so it won't go through the tube (.22's have blowback bcg's, which means the bolt isn't locked forward, and the gas just blows the spent cartrige, along with the bcg, back). This will reduce the amount of carbon going back into the receiver. You may need to get the services of a gunsmith to remove the old gas block.