Confused With $2k-$3k - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Confused With $2k-$3k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
I own two stripped M&P lowers
read the stickies, read the build threads ... then you will have more than enough knowledge to build your own ... or 2

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #22

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Dog
I want to maintain my lowers, I'm looking for a new manufac. All exp is digested, although I don't have much to "eat" concerning the LWRC. It seems Noveske is popular, I'm sure for a good reason. I don't want to mis-spend, that's why I ask. When I hear they are going to the sand, my ears pop up, but I prefer solid use info(not from the govt), but actual end user info. I only have enough g-backs for one top-tier. I want to be sure it's the best, my money comes hard and fast or petite and slow. Thanks all who have or will help.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In the end, its what gun you feel the most comfortable with. Thy are all very good guns, but which one has a rail on it you like or features you like will be the best gun for you.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #24

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
Dog
I want to maintain my lowers, I'm looking for a new manufac. All exp is digested, although I don't have much to "eat" concerning the LWRC. It seems Noveske is popular, I'm sure for a good reason. I don't want to mis-spend, that's why I ask. When I hear they are going to the sand, my ears pop up, but I prefer solid use info(not from the govt), but actual end user info. I only have enough g-backs for one top-tier. I want to be sure it's the best, my money comes hard and fast or petite and slow. Thanks all who have or will help.
For $1k you can build yourself a great AR based on a STAG receiver set

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 10-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #25

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Don't get a piston as your first AR. Get a Di.

I've read more than a few posts from LWRC owners saying that if they had to do it al over again, they'd buy another brand. From what I understand also (that most people do not talk about) is that when you need the clean the piston, you need to remove the handguards (requires a tool and fwii a pain). Also LWRC customer service do not have the best reputation.

Noveske makes very nice barrels. Very nice rifles. Very good Rep.

LaRue makes very good rifles, Sub moa garantee. Lifetime warranty and no bs customer service.

If I were on the market for a 2-3k rifle, It'd be a LaRue, Noveske, or Colt sp901.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 10-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 697 Times on 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-mark
Noveske Rifles now come with an ALG ACT Trigger as standard.
Thanks for the info, I have a Noveske lower I will be building soon. In your opinion is that a good trigger to start off with?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #27

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Don't get a piston as your first AR. Get a Di.

I've read more than a few posts from LWRC owners saying that if they had to do it al over again, they'd buy another brand. From what I understand also (that most people do not talk about) is that when you need the clean the piston, you need to remove the handguards (requires a tool and fwii a pain). Also LWRC customer service do not have the best reputation.

Noveske makes very nice barrels. Very nice rifles. Very good Rep.

LaRue makes very good rifles, Sub moa garantee. Lifetime warranty and no bs customer service.

If I were on the market for a 2-3k rifle, It'd be a LaRue, Noveske, or Colt sp901.
Pistons do not guarantee quality. Like the DI, just depends on who made it. My piston doesn't require too much effort to get to; I was just able to build an AR that was almost as reliable for a lot less than the total cost of my aftermarket (ARES) piston system and AR combined. The piston was about as reliable as advertised, however, a properly built DI can be reliable enough to be not worth the added expense and weight increase of the piston system.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #28

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
LWRC is delivering many to the sand, in the hands of our troops. I think that qualifies as hard use.

I haven't owned one, but the little I have handled them, they seem to be pretty impressive in quality.
As far as the bigger picture, FN has the current contract for the M16/M4's and the M240 and M249's. Most Spec ops guys (SEALS among them) use the HK 416. A few Army units get the LWRC's. There are several manufacturers that supply the Special Operations groups with weapons, but the average GI Joe will get the M16A2 no frills gun, which will get the hardest use of all, going to the range, sending 100 rounds down, about 2 minutes per round cleaning to pass the armorors inspection, then back in the arms room.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #29

Default LWRC SPR is top dog!

I have to say the SPR--just bought this SPR at my local gun shop in Houston(web-armory.com) for $2329 which is a great deal but still A LOT for an AR but its worth the extra money. Makes my Colt and My Stag look like stray dogs!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #30

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

on second thought, i take back what i said...........just give the $3 grand to me, i'll send you sumthing, er, uh, a rifle for that amount.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

dog2000tj Likes This