confused
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > confused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default confused

my friend bought a bushy superlite . its a great little ar ,lite and handy . it is an a-3 configure with a 16" govt profile barrel (i think ,or pencil) the thing that is wierd is the bayonet lug is wrong . a typical bayonet won't work on it . do they make a bayonet that fits ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2010, 04:28 AM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

I may be wrong but I don't think a standard bayonet actually fits on a 16" barrel. You need one specific to a carbine length barrel.

If I am wrong someone will come along shortly and abuse me...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-06-2010, 04:28 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

pics would help
so a regular AR-15 bayonet wont fit?
i dont know either jpyle...hopefully someone comes along and corrects us both

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 05-06-2010, 05:00 AM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I may be wrong but I don't think a standard bayonet actually fits on a 16" barrel. You need one specific to a carbine length barrel.

If I am wrong someone will come along shortly and abuse me...

Manufacturer: Military SURPLUS
Item: ARR-035

AR-15 and M16 Bayonet, Original US Military bayonet for the M16 rifle and it will also fit the AR-15 rifles equipped with a bayonet lug. Appears in fair condition with correct M8A1 sheath and are becoming scarce. 11" Bayonet. Grade III.

Bayonet will not fit carbines unless you use ARR-042 or ARR-044.

All Military surplus products are used, the condition of the products varies, and the quantities may be limited. Unfortunately, we can not accept backorders or returns on any surplus products. Surplus condition scale:
Grade I – Used in like new to excellent condition. Grade II – Used in good condition, may show minor use.
Grade III – Used in fair condition, will show normal wear and tear from daily use.

ARR-035 - AR-15 and M16 Bayonet and M8A1 Sheath Bayonet in Used Fair Condition

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-06-2010, 05:01 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

A standard M16 bayonet will fit a carbine, but due to the set back of the bayo lug only a small portion of the blade will protrude past the muzzle. The thin barrels will allow the bayo to rattle around, as the ring is designed to fit snugly around the FH.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #6

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

The M9 bayonet will fit AR equivalents of the M16 (20") and the pinned 14.5" M4. It doesn't attach properly to a 16" M4 with a carbine gas system but does attach properly to a 16" with the midlength gas system. Like M14sRock said the flash hider must be in the right place and it's not on a 16" M4gery.

ETA: maybe a better way to say it is the bayonet lug must be in the right place relative to the flash hider...

Last edited by Quentin; 05-06-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #7

i don't have my camera handy , view a pic of the exact same gun on gb item # 160646821 . or search -BCWA3F 16SL Bushmaster. you guys are correct , the FH is not in correct position to keep the bayonet from wiggleing .
so it looks like the bayo lug is just for show .

Old 05-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwrench View Post
... the FH is not in correct position to keep the bayonet from wiggleing .
so it looks like the bayo lug is just for show .
Actually the bayonet itself is just for show today, even in the military where it's used in parades and special drills and inspections. It may be a handy knife but not much use on a rifle - and too heavy. Looks like from the ad above you can buy a bayonet that does fit on a 16" M4gery. Bayonets are pretty cheap and look cool so it is tempting to have one that fits your rifle.

My 16" middy would accept a bayonet except that the gas block doesn't have a lug. And my AK clone was of the ban era so has its lug filed down. I've never bothered with either but did cut off the AK's muzzle nut, exposing the "evil" threads then screwed on a flash hider, which is useful.

I also have an SKS and Mosin Nagant that have semi-permanent bayonets that sure weigh down the front of the rifle. Should take them off I guess.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #9

i agree , i don't see haveing use for a bayonet any time soon . it's just that the lack of function bothers me ,but i will get over it .....next step is to attach some optics to see if we can get a decent group at 100 yards . it is fairly accurate in close and made a mess of a bunch of soda cans .

Old 05-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #10

Now yer talkin!

Oh wait, I don't have optics on my AR... Still an open sights type of guy here. Mainly because so far I'm still blessed with good vision even with 62 year old eyes.