Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Concerning "Co-Witnessing" Optics: is it necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

True, every large organization has failed projects and bad ideas and just because the mil does it doesn't make it right. RDS optics do not fall into the failed column though. Like Wambli said there are plenty of soldiers w/ the experience to prove it.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
True, every large organization has failed projects and bad ideas and just because the mil does it doesn't make it right. RDS optics do not fall into the failed column though. Like Wambli said there are plenty of soldiers w/ the experience to prove it.
im not saying its bad. my point is its a substitute for training. if you like electronic optics and want to use em go for it. im just glad i got out before that stuff was foisted on me.

my favorite rifle is my mosin pu sniper but its got irons right under the scope mount. so im not 100% against

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-02-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

I like having optics as an option so I don't have to ask the zombies to help me find my glasses.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
im not saying its bad. my point is its a substitute for training. if you like electronic optics and want to use em go for it. im just glad i got out before that stuff was foisted on me.

my favorite rifle is my mosin pu sniper but its got irons right under the scope mount. so im not 100% against
Oh there is a lot of training in and outside the classroom regarding the use of RDS's. They go over the MOA of the dot and how it relates to a man sized target over distance, hold off on a moving target, etc. They in no way is a substitute for training. They can actually be considered a force multiplier. Both eyes open. You can't get much better than being able to see the entire battlefield while simultaneously engaging targets much faster than possible w/ irons. No lining up front and rear, just place the dot and squeeze. With roughly 5 years of constant on battery life and proven battlefield reliability how are irons better?

What kind of training do you have w/ red dots? Where did you get your info about them being a substitute for training?

Not trying to argue but I've sat here trying to figure out ways that irons are better.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #15

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
thats a false argument. military weapon system history is replete with bad choices and ill thought out ideas. just two of numerous examples:

1960's air to air missiles almost work and the pentagon decides to take guns off aircraft as they are "no longer needed"

1940's m4 sherman gasoline engines are easier to service than safer non explosive diesal engines. earning the nickname ronsons for the tank design.

just cuz the military does it doesnt lways equate with a wise choice.
And ususally you get a ton of flack from the folks in the field when the "bad" choices are pushed on to them. Optics on battle rifles have been feverishly accepted and deployed amongst the miltary because they make a LOT of sense and the users love them. You sould give them a try.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #16

Optics allow for quicker acquisition of targets which is never a bad idea. It is, however, a bad idea to not have a backup sight because electronics can fail and batteries can die.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recomm View Post
Optics allow for quicker acquisition of targets which is never a bad idea. It is, however, a bad idea to not have a backup sight because electronics can fail and batteries can die.
Very, very much the truth.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #18

I have an NCStar Ultimate Sighting System 3-9x42 scope on my rifle which has a small red dot on the top which can be set for CQB and the scope for longer ranges. I also have my iron sights spot marked for quick release removal of the scope and quick release assembly of the BUIS. Mine is a true BUIS, it is in my LBV just in case. The scope red dot combo takes a little bit to get used to but once you do, it is great for quick aquisition and if the enemy is a little farther away just rotate down and put one center mass.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #19

Also, when I was in Iraq we had a Trijicon ACOG on our rifles with a 3x mag on them. I loved it, but I still had my irons just in case.