Concentrincity gauge
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Concentrincity gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default Concentrincity gauge

How about buying a concentricity gauge and not have to spend $ on the high dollar ammo to get the accuracy out if the cheaper ammo? Just curious how much help it would make ,I don't think it's going to make wolf a one moa .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

concentricity gages are used for sorting bullets before they are loaded. having quality powders primers and then using consistant charges and topping it off with a high quality bullet will see better result than sorting loaded ammo using one of those gages that wont be of much use since you cannt measure a bullet that is in a case.

i dont own a concentricity gage my handloads using a so-so powder i get 1.5" groups at 300yds with my savage 308

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #3

Check it out Ar midway USA it's used for before and after

Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #4

This one can be used before and after being reloaded, midway USA, helps with the rollout. #220-200

Old 08-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

the charge weights and bullet weights in factory ammo even the "match" ammo isnt very good with the noted exception of black hills match. concentricity is the least issue that makes ammo accurate.

if your a bench rest shooter you might see some benefit by segregating bullets but in all honesty its a waste of time in anything but extreme precision shooting where its all about the mechanical accuracy with little to no human factor

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-03-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #6

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the charge weights and bullet weights in factory ammo even the "match" ammo isnt very good with the noted exception of black hills match. concentricity is the least issue that makes ammo accurate.

if your a bench rest shooter you might see some benefit by segregating bullets but in all honesty its a waste of time in anything but extreme precision shooting where its all about the mechanical accuracy with little to no human factor
You'd be surprised at how non-concentric even "quality" ammunition is. I have a concentricity gage, and if I'm shooting for precision, run every loaded round through it.

Some of the factory ammunition is up to 0.009 out. The problem is the round-to-round change that can be as much as 0.0015 to 0.009 with everything in between. In 20 rounds I measured 2 that were 0.0015, 10 that were 0.005, 4 that were 0.007, 3 that were 0.008 to 0.009 and one that was 0.006.

You can straighten the bullet/neck area of loaded ammunition using the Hornady concentricity gage - and it helps. After tweaking in the concentricity gage - the 20 round are all 0.0015 to 0.002.

I started checking this because I have a rifle that will shoot under 0.5 MOA.

I was getting <0.5 MOA on 3 out of 5 rounds and couldn't believe I was pulling the other two and opening up the group. After straightening 20 rounds and testing, I was averaging right at 0.25 MOA.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; 08-03-2012 at 08:16 PM.
billt Likes This 
Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #7

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
concentricity gages are used for sorting bullets before they are loaded.
How is that? What would you be checking the concentricity to? The concentricity gage is used to sort loaded ammunition, to check if the bullet is seated concentric to the case itself, and not at a slight angle. If it is the Hornady gage provides a thumb screw to push the bullet to one side while watching a dial indicator. Much like a machinist does when indicating a piece in the chuck of a lathe.