Completed Lower brands, what's the difference?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Completed Lower brands, what's the difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Completed Lower brands, what's the difference?

For my next build I'm looking at Spikes Tactical completed lowers again, but I'm considering a completed CMMG lower for 100.00 less. What's the difference between the two?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It depends on who assembles it and what parts they use to assemble it w/. Who are you purchasing the lowers from?

Also check out www.gandrtactical.com for BCM lowers or www.rainierarms.com. www.palmettostatearmory.com has started assembling their own lowers as well.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #3

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I think it comes down to a few things. Quality control, who, as MJ said, assembles it, and what you're planning on using it for.
My opinion is best summed up like this. The 1911 is made by dozens of companies. The specs for a 1911 haven't changed. But truth of the matter is, even though, technically, all are the same, the quality differences between the various brands can be extreme.
You can get the $300 special that will throw rounds down range just like the $1,500 ones can. But they are usually less accurate, and also more prone to FTE's and FTF's.
You have less expensive companies in the AR world, and 1911 world, that make solid, reliable equipment. You have high end companies that ride their reputation, but many have earned that reputation by de-bugging their firearms to the point you know you have something that is going to do what it is designed to do, every time, and you never get that nagging wonder in the back of your mind that 'what happens if I need it, and it fails?'
Research what you want it to do, question on this site, listen to those who know, which I count as MJkeat, AgentTikki, Dog, Fsted, just to name a few. You'll, after perusing this section of the forum, quickly learn who knows what they are talking about and who's just wasting pixels and trolling.
I am by no means an expert on the AR, as I'm building my first. But the above named are the ones I've found who provide solid information, and are willing to offer said advice, and guide you down the right path.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

There is not much difference in a standard milspec forged lower besides the rollmark and stampings. So long as the dimensions are in spec, they are all pretty much the same.

There are "special" lowers that have integrated trigger guards, flared magwells, billet construction, ambidexterous controls, china doll rollmarks, custom contoured magwells etc. Just keep an eye out fer em.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #5

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
There is not much difference in a standard milspec forged lower besides the rollmark and stampings. So long as the dimensions are in spec, they are all pretty much the same.

There are "special" lowers that have integrated trigger guards, flared magwells, billet construction, ambidexterous controls, china doll rollmarks, custom contoured magwells etc. Just keep an eye out fer em.
Oh. I was talking about the parts kits themselves, not the lowers per se. Told ya to listen to Tikki!!

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ya I needs to read a little better. >.<

PSA has pulbically stated that their lower parts kits come from the same supplier for FN. I persoanlly think thing such as roll pins and detents aren't a big deal. But springs, triggers, buffer tubes, hammers are important. So finding out the source is important.

Honestly you can save a good deal of money for yourself by buying a complete lpk from palmetto and a complete buttstock, buffer tube, spring, buffer, castle nut, and end plate package from DSG Arms and putting it together by yourself. All you need is a set of roll punches or allen wrenches, hammer, tape stock wrench, chisel and a razor blade.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #7

Liked 1001 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
For my next build I'm looking at Spikes Tactical completed lowers again, but I'm considering a completed CMMG lower for 100.00 less. What's the difference between the two?
Got links? Links that detail all the parts that go in to each lower? No way to know otherwise.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.