Complete Uppers - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Complete Uppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post

Look at the ballistics, 7.62x39, 300 blk and 6.8 spc are all stacked on top of each other . When you say , if you wanted that caliber you would just buy a AK, take it from a owner of both the 7.62 AR Is more accurate than my AK .
These are 100 yard groups using cheap Tula 7.62 ammo to get me sighted in with , far more accurate than my AK
I was only saying that for the sole fact I have seen first hand that 7.62x39 AR's are usually very picky eaters, mags can be hard to find ones that feed properly and parts are almost as hard to come by as the 6.8 parts are, to buy a complete 7.62x39 upper would cost as much as buying an AK off the shelf in my area aswell.

but I am open to a 300aac if it fits my needs better and my budget because I do want to use it to hunt with and 30.Cal is a more reasonable sized hunting round to take down deer humanely.

But I am really greatful for all ur info its always helpful an I really do appreciate it alot.

Work Hard Play Hard

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 11-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #22

Liked 1103 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I enjoy building, so I built my 300 blackout. That way I know exactly what's in it. I didn't skimp on anything!

You want a completed upper? Is go with one from Advanced Armament as they designed the round. But it is not that hard to build it yourself. Mine runs like a beast. Not a single issue. But I did not build to run subs or a suppressor. I am loading Hornady 110 & 130 grain rounds right now.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 11-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #23

Liked 471 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBizz87 View Post
You can build for less money! Mine was ~$1k for a top end parts build, upper and lower plus 100 rds ammo, reloading dies and three mags!

The only parts diferent from a normal AR are barrel, bolt and mags. I used a YHM 16" barrel, bought a 6.8 bolt and installed on PSA carrier. 13" free float single rail and a billet upper, seekins adjustable gas block. Currently waiting on my ACS-L lower kit, compensator and sights. Testing buffer weights right now, check my build thread for ideas.

300 was also a consideration for my build but raw ballistics convinced me to go the 6.8 route. 6.8 is much flatter shooting with good hunting energy levels to ~800 yards. 6.8 is 0.277 the common 270 Winchester in the 90-120 grain range! It reloads very easy, and is pretty economical on components. Just got 100 Remington SP 115 grain for $19 at cabelas! Hornady SST 110 grain 100 rd boxes cost $26.50, this is the same as high grade premium ammo ($32 box 20).

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-30-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #24

Liked 424 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller
You can build for less money! Mine was ~$1k for a top end parts build, upper and lower plus 100 rds ammo, reloading dies and three mags! The only parts diferent from a normal AR are barrel, bolt and mags. I used a YHM 16" barrel, bought a 6.8 bolt and installed on PSA carrier. 13" free float single rail and a billet upper, seekins adjustable gas block. Currently waiting on my ACS-L lower kit, compensator and sights. Testing buffer weights right now, check my build thread for ideas. 300 was also a consideration for my build but raw ballistics convinced me to go the 6.8 route. 6.8 is much flatter shooting with good hunting energy levels to ~800 yards. 6.8 is 0.277 the common 270 Winchester in the 90-120 grain range! It reloads very easy, and is pretty economical on components. Just got 100 Remington SP 115 grain for $19 at cabelas! Hornady SST 110 grain 100 rd boxes cost $26.50, this is the same as high grade premium ammo ($32 box 20).
Building an upper is not nearly as easy as building a lower.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 11-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #25

Liked 1103 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Here's a little more info on the 300 Blackout for you.

http://youtu.be/tgKjbySsAik

Old 12-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post

Building an upper is not nearly as easy as building a lower.
True and its no where near as hard as assembling Christmas presents for the kids. Admittedly I have been doing it for a while and have all the tools. But its not something to be scared off by! Torque wrench is the priciest tool needed and you can borrow one from autozone for the day. Try it, you might like it. In fact choose the right handguard/ barrel nut system and you can do away with the torque wrench entirely!..

Texasgunner: Interesting info on the 300 blk. I may build one in the future. I already have the 6.8 SPC almost complete and stand by the superior ballistics quote. CQB is not part of my decision making process. Enhanced terminal ballistics and range over 5.56 are. Might be different for someone else.

My 6.8 was built as a wide envelope hunter, mainly hog and deer, but also some longer range varmiting(5-800 yards). The increased recoil, and enhanced energy and range, that make it less effective in CQB are a plus for my purpose. Not an insult, just we all judge from different standards.....

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Last edited by dwmiller; 12-01-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 296 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 44

6.8spc is a decent caliber and 'the best' maker is probably a little beyond my budget. So I have to admit to lacking knowledge there.

But I'd echo others' sentiments...300blk is the way to go. The supersonic 125gr type bullets are pretty similar to 6.8spc in performance. And you've also got the potential to go supressed/subsonic with 200+gr bullets if you're willing to buy a can & tax stamp. Everything but the barrel (including mags) remains the same, so you just buy dedicated 300blk upper and set it up with everything you want.

I like the 6.8. But I'll be branching off into the 300blk world on my AR journey, because it's simply more practical...and popular. I'm not really into going the norm/popular route, but in this case it's the more viable option that will save me money and be more versatile and marketable (if I were to sell) down the line. Just something to consider.

For any AR caliber, I'm a big fan of BCM, Noveske, Daniel Defense, and PSA. But there are certainly other places that offer excellent products.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #28

Quote:
True and its no where near as hard as assembling Christmas presents for the kids. Admittedly I have been doing it for a while and have all the tools. But its not something to be scared off by! Torque wrench is the priciest tool needed and you can borrow one from autozone for the day. Try it, you might like it.... Texasgunner: Interesting info on the 300 blk. I may build one in the future. I already have the 6.8 SPC almost complete and stand by the superior ballistics quote. CQB is not part of my decision making process. Enhanced terminal ballistics and range over 5.56 are. Might be different for someone else. My 6.8 was built as a wide envelope hunter, mainly hog and deer, but also some longer range varmiting(5-800 yards). The increased recoil, and enhanced energy and range, that make it less effective in CQB are a plus for my purpose. Not an insult, just we all judge from different standards.....
I agree with your choice of 6.8 over 300. But building an upper has a lot to take into account. Head spacing. Proper torquing of multiple items. Fsb. All of those things can go wrong pretty quickly if done wrong.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 12-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post

I agree with your choice of 6.8 over 300. But building an upper has a lot to take into account. Head spacing. Proper torquing of multiple items. Fsb. All of those things can go wrong pretty quickly if done wrong.
True, maybe I am a underestimating the problems an upper build could present to an inexperienced builder. But how else can you learn? I do view every new build as a learning experience. The day I stop learning is the day I get a shovelful of dirt in the face.

Sweeper22: If I build a 300 blk I'd definitely want the can. Subsonic is one of the things that the cartridge is designed for. No point in building one without all the bells and whistles.

Last edited by dwmiller; 12-01-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #30

Quote:
True, maybe I am a underestimating the problems an upper build could present to an inexperienced builder. But how else can you learn? I do view every new build as a learning experience. The day I stop learning is the day I get a shovelful of dirt in the face.
The point I'm making is some people just dont have a lot of interest in going through all that trouble of learning and buying tools when they can get exactly what they want from a manufacturer with a warranty. It just depends on the person. I have nothing against somebody building their upper. In fact i support it. Its jut not the best option for everybody.