Complete M&P lower worth buying
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Complete M&P lower worth buying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 218 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Complete M&P lower worth buying

I am looking to build a M-4 and was about to order a blem lower and talked to my local general store gun shop about shipping it to him. He said he had a m&p15 lower complete he would make me a bit better deal than it was listed for. His current price is $311.95.

If price to me was under 300 bucks would that be a worth while buy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1136 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Hmmmm. It's fair, not great. Here's what I figure.

Lower + fees 130ish
LPK 60ish
Stock buffer tube 60ish

But by doing it yourself parts and prices vary. If you want nicer parts or such do it yourself. If your just happy with an average, okay deal go for it.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #3

Yea true , I guess I could also upgrade the trigger kit and be at the M&P price. Pick up a blem lower would be fine too. Got a look and see if any stags still out there.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

It's not a bad deal at all, especially if you prefer not to build. In that case, it's a 'go' if the setup is to your liking. It's a 'no-go' if you're going to upgrade some of those parts in the near future.

If you have specific tastes and demands, building is generally better in my experience. You can get the lower you want, probably a better stock (with milspec fit if desired), and maybe a better trigger/trigger guard.

I built a gun the other day on a Noveske lower. It was completed with a PSA/Magpul STR lower build kit, and has a clean and relatively light milspec trigger as well as the fit I desire (so all my spare pieces and parts are interchangeable). The total cost of the completed lower with all fees was about $330. I'm not going to claim it's dramatically superior to the S&W in question, but it's better for my tastes. And the Noveske lower, Magpul trigger guard, STR stock will add $100-200 to the rifle's resale value.

Last edited by sweeper22; 11-10-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If you want a complete lower, this is impossible to beat...even if you factor in $50 worth of shipping/BGC/Xfer fees.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thats on the high end of what its worth forsure. If I was you I would shop around. You can beat that price.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Going to b tough to beat this even with shipping and transfer fees $179 complete Moe lower
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-ar-15-complete-blem-lower-magpul-moe-edition-black-no-magazine.html

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
jjfuller1 Likes This 
Old 11-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2699 Times on 1410 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Don't let people discourage you because the S&W is "average". There are gun snobs everywhere. The quality of the S&W M&P rifles are on par with the Colt "industry standard". If the local guy has the same thing w/in $5-10 BUY IT! Support local, earn good will points and have someone who can stand behind the product.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

chloeshooter Likes This 
Old 11-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #9

Great replies guys. I had a m&p sport. Pleased with it and a better trigger than some I have tried . It also with some ammo tried in it was capable of MOA or a fuzz less. Just did not shoot it enough and a son-in-law talked me out of it. Ya I know.

Purehavoc- man wished I had seen that in the past couple days as I would ride down And buy one. May still try tomorrow if any left and still for sale.

I do tend to be a bit of a trigger snob. That has been my sticking point with AR triggers. hate 2 stage trigger in general and every rifle I own has a far better trigger than any ar I have shot but a rra varmint running a 1 1/2lb jard trigger was very nice. That would be my long term trigger option but also see a standard trigger being perhaps more idiot proof to start with.

Probably cheaper to buy but I am retired and have to much time on my hands so figure on a stag blem lower and build one.

robocop10mm We have a rare general store here. They keep about 450 firearms on display from high end like a 50 barrett down to high point all at 10% over his cost. Just that AR lowers and uppers are rare there and then only the M&P label for stock and then not often. Thee not a big deal around here. Guys are more apt to buy a 900 to 1200 dollar rifle rather than a better AR.

Thanks all . Think I am still stuck thinking this over.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #10

Liked 220 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Great replies guys. I had a m&p sport. Pleased with it and a better trigger than some I have tried . It also with some ammo tried in it was capable of MOA or a fuzz less. Just did not shoot it enough and a son-in-law talked me out of it. Ya I know.

Purehavoc- man wished I had seen that in the past couple days as I would ride down And buy one. May still try tomorrow if any left and still for sale.

I do tend to be a bit of a trigger snob. That has been my sticking point with AR triggers. hate 2 stage trigger in general and every rifle I own has a far better trigger than any ar I have shot but a rra varmint running a 1 1/2lb jard trigger was very nice. That would be my long term trigger option but also see a standard trigger being perhaps more idiot proof to start with.

Probably cheaper to buy but I am retired and have to much time on my hands so figure on a stag blem lower and build one.

robocop10mm We have a rare general store here. They keep about 450 firearms on display from high end like a 50 barrett down to high point all at 10% over his cost. Just that AR lowers and uppers are rare there and then only the M&P label for stock and then not often. Thee not a big deal around here. Guys are more apt to buy a 900 to 1200 dollar rifle rather than a better AR.

Thanks all . Think I am still stuck thinking this over.
If you are stuck for a better than stock trigger order the PSA lbk with the qms /alg trigger(5.5 lbs stock) Already stoned and honed, just add a reduced trigger spring for smooth, low pull (~4lbs pull) weight. Leave the hammer spring alone as going lighter sometimes results in FTF light strikes, especially on mil ammo. The titanium firing pin will also speed up lock time a bit. This is the go too "upgrade" trigger job at the shop!

This on the blemish lower, plus shipping, stock kit and transfer fee should still be cheaper than the m&p! Much better quality also... I normally build varmit rifles and this is about as good as can be done with a two stage and still be safe. The next step is a Timney/Jard module type trigger at ~$200+.... :eek

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/parts-kits/palmetto-state-armory-classic-qms-lpk.html

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-bottom-metals/trigger-parts/trigger-springs/ar-15-m16-reduced-power-action-kit-prod16652.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15zz1zzM4

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/firing-pins/ar15-m16-titanium-firing-pin-prod58269.aspx

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-10-2013 at 03:48 PM.