Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Complete M&P lower worth buying (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/complete-m-p-lower-worth-buying-100137/)

hardluk1 11-09-2013 11:13 PM

Complete M&P lower worth buying

I am looking to build a M-4 and was about to order a blem lower and talked to my local general store gun shop about shipping it to him. He said he had a m&p15 lower complete he would make me a bit better deal than it was listed for. His current price is $311.95.

If price to me was under 300 bucks would that be a worth while buy.

jjfuller1 11-09-2013 11:21 PM

Hmmmm. It's fair, not great. Here's what I figure.

Lower + fees 130ish
LPK 60ish
Stock buffer tube 60ish

But by doing it yourself parts and prices vary. If you want nicer parts or such do it yourself. If your just happy with an average, okay deal go for it.

hardluk1 11-10-2013 12:08 AM

Yea true , I guess I could also upgrade the trigger kit and be at the M&P price. Pick up a blem lower would be fine too. Got a look and see if any stags still out there.

sweeper22 11-10-2013 12:20 AM

It's not a bad deal at all, especially if you prefer not to build. In that case, it's a 'go' if the setup is to your liking. It's a 'no-go' if you're going to upgrade some of those parts in the near future.

If you have specific tastes and demands, building is generally better in my experience. You can get the lower you want, probably a better stock (with milspec fit if desired), and maybe a better trigger/trigger guard.

I built a gun the other day on a Noveske lower. It was completed with a PSA/Magpul STR lower build kit, and has a clean and relatively light milspec trigger as well as the fit I desire (so all my spare pieces and parts are interchangeable). The total cost of the completed lower with all fees was about $330. I'm not going to claim it's dramatically superior to the S&W in question, but it's better for my tastes. And the Noveske lower, Magpul trigger guard, STR stock will add $100-200 to the rifle's resale value.

sweeper22 11-10-2013 12:36 AM

If you want a complete lower, this is impossible to beat...even if you factor in $50 worth of shipping/BGC/Xfer fees.

mountaineergunner 11-10-2013 05:56 AM

Thats on the high end of what its worth forsure. If I was you I would shop around. You can beat that price.

purehavoc 11-10-2013 11:34 AM

Going to b tough to beat this even with shipping and transfer fees $179 complete Moe lower
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-ar-15-complete-blem-lower-magpul-moe-edition-black-no-magazine.html

robocop10mm 11-10-2013 12:47 PM

Don't let people discourage you because the S&W is "average". There are gun snobs everywhere. The quality of the S&W M&P rifles are on par with the Colt "industry standard". If the local guy has the same thing w/in $5-10 BUY IT! Support local, earn good will points and have someone who can stand behind the product.

hardluk1 11-10-2013 02:15 PM

Great replies guys. I had a m&p sport. Pleased with it and a better trigger than some I have tried . It also with some ammo tried in it was capable of MOA or a fuzz less. Just did not shoot it enough and a son-in-law talked me out of it. Ya I know.

Purehavoc- man wished I had seen that in the past couple days as I would ride down And buy one. May still try tomorrow if any left and still for sale.

I do tend to be a bit of a trigger snob. That has been my sticking point with AR triggers. hate 2 stage trigger in general and every rifle I own has a far better trigger than any ar I have shot but a rra varmint running a 1 1/2lb jard trigger was very nice. That would be my long term trigger option but also see a standard trigger being perhaps more idiot proof to start with.

Probably cheaper to buy but I am retired and have to much time on my hands so figure on a stag blem lower and build one.

robocop10mm We have a rare general store here. They keep about 450 firearms on display from high end like a 50 barrett down to high point all at 10% over his cost. Just that AR lowers and uppers are rare there and then only the M&P label for stock and then not often. Thee not a big deal around here. Guys are more apt to buy a 900 to 1200 dollar rifle rather than a better AR.

Thanks all . Think I am still stuck thinking this over.

dwmiller 11-10-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1 (Post 1428043)
Great replies guys. I had a m&p sport. Pleased with it and a better trigger than some I have tried . It also with some ammo tried in it was capable of MOA or a fuzz less. Just did not shoot it enough and a son-in-law talked me out of it. Ya I know.

Purehavoc- man wished I had seen that in the past couple days as I would ride down And buy one. May still try tomorrow if any left and still for sale.

I do tend to be a bit of a trigger snob. That has been my sticking point with AR triggers. hate 2 stage trigger in general and every rifle I own has a far better trigger than any ar I have shot but a rra varmint running a 1 1/2lb jard trigger was very nice. That would be my long term trigger option but also see a standard trigger being perhaps more idiot proof to start with.

Probably cheaper to buy but I am retired and have to much time on my hands so figure on a stag blem lower and build one.

robocop10mm We have a rare general store here. They keep about 450 firearms on display from high end like a 50 barrett down to high point all at 10% over his cost. Just that AR lowers and uppers are rare there and then only the M&P label for stock and then not often. Thee not a big deal around here. Guys are more apt to buy a 900 to 1200 dollar rifle rather than a better AR.

Thanks all . Think I am still stuck thinking this over.

If you are stuck for a better than stock trigger order the PSA lbk with the qms /alg trigger(5.5 lbs stock) Already stoned and honed, just add a reduced trigger spring for smooth, low pull (~4lbs pull) weight. Leave the hammer spring alone as going lighter sometimes results in FTF light strikes, especially on mil ammo. The titanium firing pin will also speed up lock time a bit. This is the go too "upgrade" trigger job at the shop!

This on the blemish lower, plus shipping, stock kit and transfer fee should still be cheaper than the m&p! Much better quality also... ;) I normally build varmit rifles and this is about as good as can be done with a two stage and still be safe. The next step is a Timney/Jard module type trigger at ~$200+.... :eek

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/parts-kits/palmetto-state-armory-classic-qms-lpk.html

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-bottom-metals/trigger-parts/trigger-springs/ar-15-m16-reduced-power-action-kit-prod16652.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15zz1zzM4

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/firing-pins/ar15-m16-titanium-firing-pin-prod58269.aspx