The Common AR Build/Design Question Thread - I Need Help - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > The Common AR Build/Design Question Thread - I Need Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 04:38 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
I haven't done an upper and I doubt i ever will. There's just too many options available from a plethora of manufacturers for me to have to. It's too easy to order one complete, slap it on, pop 2 pins and go off shooting.
That's exactly what I thought Dog, until that whole nightmare of an incident happened to me with that "gunsmith" POS. Now that it's looking like if nothing else, the barrel is going to have to be adjusted so that the fixed front sight post is perfectly perpendicular to the receiver. Also, if the barrel is ruined I may be replacing it too. Then, if I go that far I'll go ahead and upgrade the barrel. That's a lot of upper work that I never planned on doing.

I wish I had just self-performed the work I originally took it to the gunsmith for first and learned The Upper at my own pace and at my own will.

Oh well, my Mom always says everything happens for a reason and works itself out. She's pretty wise.

Back to the Books:

Patrick Sweeny is my favorite modern firearms expert and writer. The AR-15 Volumes 1 & 2 are both very informative in every aspect of the AR-15 platform, I mean EVERYTHING!!! It also covers accessories, ammo, history and even the future of the AR. THESE BOOKS ARE GREAT FOR BEGINNERS AND EXPERTS ALIKE!

Next is his Gunsmithing the AR - 15 ; HOW TO:
-Maintain
-Repair
-Accessorize

The BEST build book is Assembling/Disassembling the AR - 15, don't remember the full name of author, but his first name is Walt. He also has a great owner's manuel

Between these books and JD's help I have a pretty good understanding of the complete rifle. However, I still go to JD for advise. Experience counts.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #62

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsouthpaw View Post
Okay, I finished the lower and it was fairly painless. I didn't see your request for pics, sorry.

Here's a more general question: What is the difference between a full auto BCG and a semi-auto BCG. From what I understand that the full auto mil-spec BCG does NOT make it a full auto weapon, and is legal in a semi-auto AR-15. What is the difference between the two?
You're correct, the FA carrier cannot by itself make a semiauto AR full auto but it is necessary in a FA gun as the FA carrier is designed to work with the auto sear in the lower receiver.

As far as the physical difference, the FA carrier always has a shrouded firing pin and has more material toward the rear. I don't have pictures handy but they probably can be found by googling.

As far as the FA carrier being legal in a semiauto AR, probably. But I'm not a lawyer and who knows how the BATF would rule in an individual case. Lots of ARs come stock with a FA carrier so in that case you're probably covered but if you upgrade from a semi to FA carrier, then I guess it comes down to how bad someone wants to nail you. Odds are though, the upper doesn't matter - it's the FA lower that the law goes after.

ETA: FA BCGs are desireable because they tend to be very high quality and the extra weight can smooth out cycling. Basically a FA carrier + standard weight carbine buffer is about the same moving mass as a SA carrier + H-buffer.

Last edited by Quentin; 12-11-2010 at 06:26 AM.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #63

Thanks, Quentin. It's not really something that is affecting my current build, I was just curious as to why it would be desirable, and you have clarified it a lot.

"In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real."- NY Times.