The Common AR Build/Design Question Thread - I Need Help - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > The Common AR Build/Design Question Thread - I Need Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR36 View Post
In other news, I just spent the last 10 minutes poking around the garage floor for a takedown detent . Damn thing is that I had the garbage bag ready to go but forgot.
And THAT is how we know that you did it for real because that happens to EVERYONE.

Welcome to the Club. LOL

Old 12-04-2010, 03:52 AM   #22

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
And THAT is how we know that you did it for real because that happens to EVERYONE.
Not me! I guess I'm smarter than the average bear

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-04-2010, 03:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Not me! I guess I'm smarter than the average bear
You want me to break out the posts with the crying and the begging for help?

Old 12-04-2010, 04:01 AM   #24

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Quote:
Ha ha hah. I feel for you brother. Most everyone has been there at one time or another.

Do you have a punch set and the AR bench block ( the green one that is so common )?

The other option is to flip it over, get a small drill bit that is just "-" that much smaller than the roll pin hole and drill the sucker out. Be careful. Very, very careful.
A little bit of oil, pliers and some electrical tape worked for me...but then again let's not talk about that evaporating takedown detent...I still swear it was in there when I put the stock on.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 12-04-2010 at 04:15 AM.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:04 AM   #25

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR36 View Post
Well its good to know im not the only one to have this problem. Ive no bench block and the only punch set I have is a tapered one. Thinking Im going to have to drill it out, but a big part of me just wants to smash it though at this point .

In other news, I just spent the last 10 minutes poking around the garage floor for a takedown detent . Damn thing is that I had the garbage bag ready to go but forgot.
LOL...been there. Not recommending it per se but I used adjustable pliers wrapped in electrical tape to squeeze the pin in. A little oil squirted into the hole helped. Just have to be really, really careful not to apply pressure to the "ears"...they will snap off...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-04-2010, 04:10 AM   #26

Quote:
You want me to break out the posts with the crying and the begging for help?
So what kind of liquor did you want for Christmas?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 12-04-2010, 05:18 AM   #27

My knees are shot but I found that damn pin. I think I came up with some new cuss words during the build but shes 80-85% together, just minus the barrel right now. Stock and handguards not tightened down yet but I've been patrolling the parents house for the last 10 minutes with the new toy. Now for some ammo...

I had to press gang my old man into helping me a number of times. Who caused the detent pin to go flying is still hotly contested. Fond memories certainly made for sure.

Thanks for the help and the reassuring words gang.

Last edited by JR36; 12-04-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #28

Is there a break in period for the charging handle? My racking action is rough and gritty. After a few charges the charging handle has the smell of burnt matches. Some of the finish is rubbing off on the top of the charging handle and some on the sides. There is also some obvious wear on the bent portion of the charging handle (the part that goes over the gas key) where it grabs the BCG. Its a DD charging handle in a YHM upper and a BCM BCG. The BCG has some wear on the bottom as well. I think its scraping against the hammer on its way rearward.

I'll toss up some pictures if I can find the cord to my camera.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #29

I would say that any metal on metal finish is going to have some wear on it when two dissimilar surfaces are rubbing together. Is it the finish, or is it the metal?

Old 12-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #30

Now that it has been brought up I do have a question JD. I've noticed the burnt smell as well when I charge my AR so I was wondering if it is worthwhile having an industrial coating applied.

I remember when you did the .460 conversion and you sent your pistol to Robar, is that something you feel would be worth it for an AR? And if so to what extent?

Thanks

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas