The Common AR Build/Design Question Thread - I Need Help - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > The Common AR Build/Design Question Thread - I Need Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't have any because I still don't know what I'm doing. I found assembling a lower to be a piece of cake with just a little reading and looking at some pictures. I ended up buying a complete upper so I can't speak for that side of it.

I'm already seeing a common idea here...."what do I buy?" I know one mistake I made in my build was that I got a mil spec buffer tube and I needed a commercial. If you were to break the rifle down piece by piece and explain the different components and the options available I think that would benefit many in the decision making and make their build less stressful.

For me the only stress was you ladies nagging me about when the next step was going to be done.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #12

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Cast, forged, billet and machined. All terms that make me cringe when tossed about with abandon.

No thank you.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #13

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Like when you are trying to assemble the lower, and your detent shoots across the room. Well, there you have a fine and dandy tip about how you assemble the FCS inside a plastic bag.
Or you could use the punch tool method like I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
upper receiver action block. i cannot stress how usefful and nice this particuler piece is. this particular device is from dpms and is the best method i have found for doing anything to the upper reciever. it fits in a vice and i made of hard pressure formed plastic.
+1 on this one, a very useful tool indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
OK, Here is my question.
What do you look for when purchasing a stripped lower? Materials? Forged/Milled etc?

My 1st was forged with engraving (soon to be yours you lucky bastard )My 2nd was a STAG Arms forged. My 3rd was a Mega Arms billet.

Looking at all 3 I will stick with billet from now on. More pricey, not really necessary but definitely worth the money in my opinion.

In one thread JD asked to see a top view, What was he looking for?

Don't go there! Bad Shihan, bad!

Basically, What to look for in a lower.

Most of the major manufacturers will be of comparative quality and price. The method of machining will ultimately determine quality and cost. Of course major name brands will usually be more expensive but deals are always to be found.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #14

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

I think the most important thing when buying or building your first AR is research and lots of it. Don't be lazy and take short cuts, do your homework and learn what you want. Learn the terminology, the different designs and the quality manufacturers. After acquiring that knowledge the odds of ending up with a great rifle go up exponentially. Don't expect that others on the internet know that much more than you or that they know exactly what you want. Or care...

Starting your research at least a couple months before pulling out the credit card guarantees you will end up with a better rifle than listening to what others recommend. Of course listen to what others say but find out what worked for them and what didn't work. Slowly get it straight in your mind what you want and how much you want to spend.

Really this isn't much different than buying or building a computer or home theater system. Or even a car. First lots of research and learning the system, then buy quality parts that are the best fit for you.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #15

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I ask everyone to post their initial AR questions, or their initial AR thoughts versus what they found to be worthwhile to them, here so we can straighten it all out in informational thread.
Well I'll stand by the advice you gave me JD - buy/build an AR15 and a AR10.

Like others here at FTF I came in with no knowledge/experience in the AR platform at all. It was the look of the rifle that appealed to me first. More research and it was the simplicity that appealed to me next. But after reviewing what I would like to get out my AR it was obvious 1 platform would not suffice.

I think the best starting point one can have is figuring out what exactly they want/need the rifle to do. From there it is relatively easy to configure the AR platform to those needs.

As for a end all b all thread for build direction I think some of the members here have already provided the base info needed. Maybe with a lot of editing and clean up and maybe just sticky the top 3-5 build threads.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Next question, Uppers: A1, A2, A3 so on, what differentiates them from one another? What about the style Feed Ramps?
So many Choices.
I am going to have a hard time making decisions in what to buy for my build.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:19 AM   #17

So hypothetically speaking, if you somehow got your trigger guard roll pin stuck in the trigger guard with 1/8th of and inch sticking out, what would you do? I cant get it to budge either way, in or out. I just cant seem to get it into the next ear and it sure isnt looking good for getting it back out.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:48 AM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Next question, Uppers: A1, A2, A3 so on, what differentiates them from one another? What about the style Feed Ramps?
So many Choices.
I am going to have a hard time making decisions in what to buy for my build.
A1, A2 and A3 generaly refer to the type of configuration and what kind of top you have to the upper receiver.

A1 I believe was first in the early 60's. It had the carry handle, but it had a dial type rear sight fixed into the handle itself.

A2 had the carry handle on the top of the receiver, but it had a more adjustable rear sight, definitely had the forward assist and I believe it added the deal for the left handed shooters where it deflects shells out and away from your face.

A3 is the now very common flat top receiver, it has the 1913 picatinny style sight rail.

I don't have the energy for the feed ramp argument tonight. Do some googling and read ALL ABOUT everyone's view on that little topic.

JD

Old 12-04-2010, 02:52 AM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR36 View Post
So hypothetically speaking, if you somehow got your trigger guard roll pin stuck in the trigger guard with 1/8th of and inch sticking out, what would you do? I cant get it to budge either way, in or out. I just cant seem to get it into the next ear and it sure isnt looking good for getting it back out.

Ha ha hah. I feel for you brother. Most everyone has been there at one time or another.

Do you have a punch set and the AR bench block ( the green one that is so common )?

The other option is to flip it over, get a small drill bit that is just "-" that much smaller than the roll pin hole and drill the sucker out. Be careful. Very, very careful.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:03 AM   #20

Well its good to know im not the only one to have this problem. Ive no bench block and the only punch set I have is a tapered one. Thinking Im going to have to drill it out, but a big part of me just wants to smash it though at this point .

In other news, I just spent the last 10 minutes poking around the garage floor for a takedown detent . Damn thing is that I had the garbage bag ready to go but forgot.