Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Comments about Daniel Defense XV (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/comments-about-daniel-defense-xv-26197/)

Poink88 04-18-2010 03:47 AM

Comments about Daniel Defense XV

I am considering adding an AR in my small collection in the future and slowly gravitating towards Daniel Defense XV (for $1,150 plus S, H, ins, & FFL). Anyone know a better value complete carbine/rifle?

I know I probably can built a better one for a bit less $$$ but I personally doubt it.

Thank you.

moshpit 04-23-2010 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poink88 (Post 271697)
I am considering adding an AR in my small collection in the future and slowly gravitating towards Daniel Defense XV (for $1,150 plus S, H, ins, & FFL). Anyone know a better value complete carbine/rifle?

I know I probably can built a better one for a bit less $$$ but I personally doubt it.

Thank you.

You could actually build nearly the same for around 1000 bucks, but 150 bucks isn't much to pay to save a little time on the base rifle itself, and to have factory matched upper and lower plus components. Plus factory warranty on a pre-built base rifle is nice to have. Just keep the base rifle's furniture if you do upgrades in case you need to use the warranty.

You're actually going a similar route to what I did, but I went a little more basic on the base rifle with the intention of adding everything I wanted to it myself. I only paid 950 for my S&W M&P 15 from Academy, and have heard of it even cheaper then that. S&W also had a good enough warranty offering and reliability reputation that goes toe to toe with any veteran AR manufacturer and that's what sold me in the end.

yesicarry 04-23-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Thank you.

There are many people on this forum that can take you step by step in building your own. And from I have seen, many dollars cheaper !.

lonyaeger 04-23-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Thank you.

Okay, you say you probably can, but then say you doubt you can....?

You can!

And when you add shipping, FFL, and anything else, you're going to be even further north of your $1,150. You could do significantly better building your own, plus you'd have the added advantage of knowing how it all goes together, which would serve you well some day.

But if you'd rather save a little time, go for the pre-assembled. I've heard nothing but good about Daniel Defense.

Poink88 04-23-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 274838)
Okay, you say you probably can, but then say you doubt you can....?

You can!

And when you add shipping, FFL, and anything else, you're going to be even further north of your $1,150. You could do significantly better building your own, plus you'd have the added advantage of knowing how it all goes together, which would serve you well some day.

But if you'd rather save a little time, go for the pre-assembled. I've heard nothing but good about Daniel Defense.

LOL. I don't have any doubt I can build one but what concerns me is if I can build a better system than this for less amount. If all goes well I know I can make my "perfect" AR but based on my previous hobbies...I tend to get side tracked at times and before you know it...I have 2 (or more) unfinished projects. :D :o They do get finished but I probably will end up spending twice as much :eek: with a few extra un-planned spare parts.

Just want to avoid another "vortex" where you seem to throw your money in regularly and can't seem to see the end of it. Know what I mean? :p

Thanks!!!

Car54 04-23-2010 06:29 PM

You can look at it this way, buying factory, you can play with it right away. Building your own...who knows?