Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ?? comment on this upper ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default ?? comment on this upper ??

I never had a AR 15 before. When I buy something I like to buy it good. If I don't, it wont be long before I outshoot it, out ski it, out drive it, or whatever. This is the upper someone else reccomended from another message board. Please give my your thoughts or comments. Tell me what you like or dislikes about it. Pick it apart please. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm
I have a bunch of .223 in 55 gr and a little in 62gr. I also have a few 5.56 62gr. I've always been one to lean towards the extra barrel length and weight for accuracy. You can also give me your guesses on what type of MOA it shoots, versus something shorter and lighter? Also reliability of this in heavy repeated firing? I don't know if it's a tight chamber or what? Or if this is better for .223 or 5.56, or be more prone to cause problems w/ one or the other. The guy that reccomended this, said that sometimes they drill gas ports in the wrong places. I no nothing about these, but I used to work as a basic machinist and a upscale welder for years. So my mechanical abilities are above average.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #2

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 699

It should be a fine upper and the 1:8 twist is ideal for 55-62 grain ammo. As far as reliability, with BCM that's almost a 100% given. As far as accuracy I doubt it's that much better than a fine 16" barrel and for that reason I'd be looking at a 16" midlength but my requirements are different than yours.

As far as gas ports, BCM knows what they're doing. That said, I didn't see whether this uses midlength or rifle length gas. Or even intermediate length which should be ideal for 18".

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 11-05-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It has a 5.56 nato chamber so it not really a precision oriented build. The stainless will not be as durable or easy to clean as a chromelined barrel, but should be a smidgeon more consistent. The 18" will give you a little more velocity, and the heavy profile will stand up to heavier repeated firing than a medium or light weight profile.

All in all, I can't say I'd recommend it for a precion oriented build. It should at last hve a wylde chamber.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm glad to see these two faces again. Well, that sounds like a good upper if your only going to own one. Which was my intention before. I've seen longer varmint ones advertised. Being I got three receivers, I been contemplating making one for accuracy. Then I was thinking of trying to find some slightly used one that somebody bought as a package, then upgraded there upper. I would think the lower grade ordinary stock stuff would be built loose. So it may serve as a lighter shot range thing if they handle heat OK? I'm going to have to rethink this upper purchase.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BCM is pretty much in my back yard up here in WI. Great people, great company built on solid parts at a reasonable price. With that said, they are great uppers if you are going to put a holo sight on it and go have some fun at the range. They don't use super high end barrels so punching ragged holes at 100 probably isn't going to happen. If you are looking for a precision AR, you would be happier with a better barrel.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #6

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Oh man, you got a terminal case of BRD.

3 recievers is a whole lot of stuff to plan.

Have fun!

Old 11-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #7

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Oh man, you got a terminal case of BRD.

3 recievers is a whole lot of stuff to plan.

Have fun!
It means you need more lowers!

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.