Combat proven? What does it really mean?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Combat proven? What does it really mean?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Combat proven? What does it really mean?

Being new to AR-15 scene, there was a point in my life when I was gonna purchase a Delton or CMMG AR. After discussing it with a few friends of mine who are LE and Border Patrol, they suggested I spend more and get something better. Then I was gonna get an Armalite or RRA. After consulting with my friends again, they were still hesitant and told me to buy either BCM or Daniel Defense. When I asked them why, they just told me "Those companies are combat proven." Those two words stuck with me for a while, what did it mean to be combat proven? I figured it meant an AR-15 that has seen duty in either Military, LE, SWAT, etc

Now what's confusing me is that I've been watching a TV show called "DEA" and they use RRA AR-15's. If the DEA issues the RRA, wouldn't that make RRA a combat proven AR-15 company?

I know police officers where I live use Bushmasters. Wouldn't Bushmaster be combat proven too? What is the real difference between a company like Bushmaster and a company like Bravo Company?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2606 Times on 1273 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Indyfan,

Yes the DEA-FBI-Bureau of Indian Affairs-US Capitol Police-Some of the US Marshals and other government agencies are issued the Rock River Govt. Model rifles. It is the same as the RRA Tactical CAR A-4 should a person want to add things on as they get the $$$$. I prefer the Elite CAR A-4 with the Mid-length hand guard. It would have been the rifle of choice for that DEA/FBI25,000 rifle contract but Surefire did not have the 2 Piece Quad Rail for it at the time. They just finished the M-73 Quad Rail in time for the contract. So it was my opinion that is why they went with the Tactical CAR A-4 Rifle that with the options still seen in the RRA catalog today became the Govt. Model. Now there are all kinds of Quad Rails available for the mid-length rifles. And "allegedly" you can bet their RRAs are battle proven as they call it. More than once! Even in other countries!

Old 03-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #3

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 461

I suppose it can mean many things according to who is using the term. Technically nothing is combat proven to you unless you have personally carried it in combat. What it generally means, however, is that the platform or manufacturer has passed the testing under Military Specifications (MilSpec) and the weapon has gone through military procurement channels and has seen service in the field. That being said there are still some that do not consider the 1911 as combat worthy due to the limited capacity compared to a, dare I say it, Glock.

But this also raises an issue, no AR available to the civilian market can ever be truly built to Mil Spec, and therefore combat proven, since the military requires a full auto select fire rifle.

My point is, I guess, is to buy whatever suits you. There are dozens of AR manufacturers that make damn good products that some will turn their noses up on. Poke around the AR thread and check out the threads there. If you have questions about specific models I guarantee you that someone will have an opinion for you that is based on fact and personal experience, not interwebz lore...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

Sounds like the same logic Glockophiles use in their arguments for why you should own a Glock.

As a Del-Ton owner I can tell you they are a good rifle.

They are down the road about 40 miles and started by former LEO's.

What's in a name? That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet.--Willy Shakespeare

Old 03-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It also means GI proof. Even if it's supposedly unbreakable, a GI can and will find a way to break it. I think combat tested aside, it also means mostly unbreakable.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I am going to try and phrase this as delicately as possible, so please, I hope that you don't take this personally.

Your friends. The guys you are going to for AR "advice". They are AR Snobs.

AR Snobs are just an extension of gun snobs everywhere, but this is a special sub category that is HARMFUL to anyone interested in the platform because they try to convince you to spend 2, 3 or 10 times what you need to do for a weapon you are interested in owning.

"Battle Proven" is pretty easy. You pick up a rock from a pile and Randy Johnson picks up a rock from a pile and you begin throwing them at each other. After the initial volley, you are both "Battle Proven" as is your "gear". That doesn't mean the next person who gets into a rock fight is going to benefit or throw like Randy Johnson because he is wearing the same clothes or even throwing the same rocks.

Bottom line in my mind? If the weapon is well built, and you as the operator can work on, maintain and hit what you are aiming at with it, who the hell cares what name is on the f*cking side?!

Parts are parts. Some are good, others are better. But if you build your own weapon, and you know how the damn thing works, I guarantee you it will perform when needed.

Tell your friends thanks, but you are going to build a BETTER AR than they can buy. Then PM Quentin, Sniper03, mjkeat or a host of other FTF members who will steer you in the right direction.

JD

Old 03-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

If the gun shoots straight, doesn't FTF or jam, can put an appropriate amount of firepower at the target and YOU are capable of doing so effectively, then it is Combat Ready.

In my eyes. . . Once the gun has exhibited all of the above traits in a competition, strenuous testing or straight up battle, then it is "battle proven"

The stamp on the receiver is nothing more than that A STAMP! If you have 2 rifles that have the exact same qualities and traits and one of them has a roll mark that you really dig or that does something for you, then by all means go for that one. But that should be the last thing you look at.

I like my ARs to look good and I find it fun to mess around with the cosmetic end of it, however I do so after the gun is functioning how I want it to. . .

Old 03-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I am going to try and phrase this as delicately as possible, so please, I hope that you don't take this personally.

Your friends. The guys you are going to for AR "advice". They are AR Snobs.

AR Snobs are just an extension of gun snobs everywhere, but this is a special sub category that is HARMFUL to anyone interested in the platform because they try to convince you to spend 2, 3 or 10 times what you need to do for a weapon you are interested in owning.

"Battle Proven" is pretty easy. You pick up a rock from a pile and Randy Johnson picks up a rock from a pile and you begin throwing them at each other. After the initial volley, you are both "Battle Proven" as is your "gear". That doesn't mean the next person who gets into a rock fight is going to benefit or throw like Randy Johnson because he is wearing the same clothes or even throwing the same rocks.

Bottom line in my mind? If the weapon is well built, and you as the operator can work on, maintain and hit what you are aiming at with it, who the hell cares what name is on the f*cking side?!

Parts are parts. Some are good, others are better. But if you build your own weapon, and you know how the damn thing works, I guarantee you it will perform when needed.

Tell your friends thanks, but you are going to build a BETTER AR than they can buy. Then PM Quentin, Sniper03, mjkeat or a host of other FTF members who will steer you in the right direction.

JD
Thanks for the advice Dillinger Unfortunately I already purchased the BCM parts, but my next AR-15 will be probably be something less expensive (and hopefully I'll have an NFA license by then). I will look to their advice in the future.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #9

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
Thanks for the advice Dillinger Unfortunately I already purchased the BCM parts, but my next AR-15 will be probably be something less expensive (and hopefully I'll have an NFA license by then). I will look to their advice in the future.
indyfan, if you're like a lot others the first one is like tasting candy. One taste is never enough. Start putting some cash aside my friend.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:58 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Even BMs can be made into duty read y rifles w/ a little work. The thing is if you're spending that kind of money why not spend $100 more (not so much as 3, 4, or even twice as much) and get something ready to roll from a manufacturer known for building in spec rifles. To me its worth slightly more to make sure things like gas ports, chambers, and staking are done correctly. The majority of your lower end brands are not built properly or are made of lesser materials. They also don't test each bolt or barrel. Often $100 will get you hundreds more. Such is the case w/ BCM or Daniel Defense.

I just had my DD out this past Fri. Let me tell you that thing shoots, or you can say, that dog'l hunt. It shoots nicer than my $2000 LWRC.

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-06-2011 at 04:03 AM.