Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Colt at Wally World??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP1394-RLTW
I cannot speak to Walmart but I can speak to home depot. I would imagine it is the same situation.

I run a small environmental company in Florida. Therefore I am responsible for purchasing small tools along with much larger purchases. A while back we made a very large purchase of power tools for a job we were awarded. The tools we had on hand we running fine, I just wanted back up equipment for this project so that we would not need to stop work and have I sacrifice production. The tools purchased were De Walt, HILTI. Home depot had some good pricing so we went that route (normally we would order from Grainger out of convenience).

Just like anything else, my guys saw new shiny tools and they got excited. Long story short, the new home depot tools quickly died out under very tough use. Now keep in mind, I personally have de Walt tools at home and have been running them for years with out a problem. We got through the job with the old Grainger tools f the same manufacturer.

Job was completed and I went to my tool rep. (I have a relationship with a direct HILTI manufacturer rep). His answer was short and sweet. "the tools purchased and ordered from Home depot are of a slightly lesser quality than the ones for a store such as Grainger.".

Again, I cannot speak to Walmart but I would imagine it is no different than home depot.

Just my .02.

Ryan...RLTW!
But that's my problem with the argument. It always "this other guy said..." If anyone could just find an actual source for this I'd drop it.

It doesn't make business sense to make special lower quality products to sell to big box stores especially because so many people shop there. Your brand name would be in the toilet in no time.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #22

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70 View Post
But that's my problem with the argument. It always "this other guy said..." If anyone could just find an actual source for this I'd drop it.

It doesn't make business sense to make special lower quality products to sell to big box stores especially because so many people shop there. Your brand name would be in the toilet in no time.
I hate getting invovled in this conversation, but I have to say this. They aren't going to publicize it. One of the companies I used to work for made parts for a large manufacturer. They had to be labeled individually, even though, theoretically, they were made for the same item. The reason being, Big Box refused to pay above $X.XX for the item, and to make it for that price, they had to cut corners on some parts and get cheaper made items.
Do they publicize that? Obviously not. Neither side will, because its absolutely retarded to admit you're skimping on the quality.
Big Box refuses to admit it, and the company making it knows they'll lose millions in sales to Big Box if they open their yap. Who does it benefit to tell the public about it?
No one. Well, no one with a dog in that profit margin, anyway.
I don't know if the Colts are scrimped on. But if you're waiting on someone at Colt or Wal-Mart to come forward and admit to it? You better pack a lunch, because they aren't going to.
And I don't know anyone willing to take both those Colts and do a side by side comparison, complete with composition to make sure they are identical, but those that have worked in the field and dealt with big box vs. regular stores? Yes. It is entirely possible to have something which is cosmetically the exact same, but in reality is made in an inferior manner.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #23

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70

It makes complete sense and that is why it happens throughout all facets of manufacturing.

We see it in the AR community. There are also the guys who believe it doesn't happen. But that's a worn out topic that I'm not going to venture any further into it.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70

But that's the point. It's not this other guy saying it. It was a direct manufacturers representative. Granted I am the other guy but unless you personally have a relationship with a rep from
Colt, you will not get your answer. Perhaps that is what you want though?

Anyway you look at it. It really doesn't matter. If you purchase a Colt at Walmart and are happy with it, I don't think anyone here will have a problem. All that matters is that you, the owner/shooter are happy with your purchase.

Ryan...RLTW!

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 04-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Wow quoted 3 times. That was a good one!

I'm no lover of Walmart, truth is I hate going there, so all I can say is the 2 guns I've bought there have been really good. 2 Marlin Model 60 22's.

I was lookin at getting a .243 a few years ago and happened to be in Walmart so I asked them what they had. It wasn't much, but the guy pulled out the catalog and showed me he could order any rem 700 I wanted. (Back before I decided I didn't care for the m700 anyway.) I have a hard time believing, based on my experience, that they sell inferior guns.

And I don't believe for a second in this day and age of the Internet and smart phones that no one can find the proof. Hell, look at the wiki leaks fiasco. Are we suggesting that the corporations have better security than uncle Sam?

I don't know a thing about AR's other than I don't like shooting them. You could hand me the best one made and I'd still beller about it. I'm just saying, show me the carfax!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #26

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The proof is in the money. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to make a special "Walmart" variant of a rifle?

Or, do you think any major manufacturer would pay a team of employees to finger freak all their product to find the crap ones to send to Walmart only?

Start thinking for yourself and quit propagating rumors.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #27

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

I do shop at Walmart and even buy ammo there. I'm a little wary of buying guns there even though my only gun purchase, a Marlin 60, was all right. I'd hope a Colt AR there is the same as anywhere but I'll likely never know, our Walmarts don't carry Colt so I can't pick one up and examine.

What I do know is Walmart sometimes sells models from manufacturers that no one else carries, sometimes it's a simple as adding a W to an existing model number like a remote control I bought there and a DVD player - and sometimes it's definitely an economized model only sold there. Often the new model number is just to avoid a price match from competitors but who knows, that 900 lb gorilla can get things done no one else can do. In the end I doubt any of us can prove a thing, we just don't have access to the insider information.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The proof is in the money. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to make a special "Walmart" variant of a rifle?

Or, do you think any major manufacturer would pay a team of employees to finger freak all their product to find the crap ones to send to Walmart only?

Start thinking for yourself and quit propagating rumors.
How about this, have you heard of "Private labeling"? An easy example to cite is the soup aisle at your favorite chain grocery store or Sams & Costco where you'll see the Campbells Tomato Soup & right next to it you'll see the retailers brand of Tomato Soup. Are they the same product or different?
What say you?

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 04-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #29

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I bought my savage (stevens) .22lr at watmart and other than the price its identical to the one my buddy has that he bought from the local gunstore.

Yes walmart has alot of pull because they are a large corp but saying the major firearms companies make 'special' lower quality firearms to sell at walmart is b.s. and you know it. Come on do you really think Remington is gonna slap thier name on a low quality pos....uh no, not gonna happen. And mossberg, colt or none of the other manufacturers are gonna do it either.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 04-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

I have noticed that the R700s at Walmart aren't as nice as the ones at the shop, but they are a couple hundred cheaper also. So they are different models entirely.

All companies have different levels of parts, I doubt you get a hammer forged free float barrel and all the other high end options, but to say that the parts are inferior to the standard models is highly unlikely in my opinion.