Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Colt / Umarex M4 Carbine .22 Tactical Rimfire AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Colt / Umarex M4 Carbine .22 Tactical Rimfire AR-15

This past Saturday I got the chance to try out my friend's Colt M4 Carbine Tactical Rimfire in 22 long. It has the look and feel of a Colt AR, but it's lighter and provides an inexpensive way to do a ton of plinking. We used mostly Federal, which fires really well. We also put a couple of rounds of Remington through it, but it didn't load well at first. If you like AR rifles, but don't have the cash for a bunch of .223 or 5.56, I suggest that you try one of these.

Here's a video of our range time. Enjoy!

http://johnny556x45.blogspot.com/200...-tactical.html

m4-22lr.jpg  

Last edited by ARnoob; 11-23-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: added pic

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are a lot of differing opinions on that rifle and the majority of the ones I have seem have been not very complimentary. My particular opinion is that I would rather spend a little more and get a real AR that I can change uppers and lowers if I decide to. The Colt (in name only) your talking about is a dedicated .22 and can't be used any other way than the way it is sold. to be honest I would rather have a tacticool 10/22 then the Umarex. At least the 10/22 is made here.

I had the same choice a few months back and decided to spend the extra money. I bought a Remington R-15 and have never regretted it.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5249 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 331

my personal opinion is your better off spending a bit more and getting a real AR then buying a conversion kit or a upper just for .22LR.

buying a .22 rifle or pistol get a quality one or a conversion kit for your given weapon. none of the AR15 clone .22LR rifles i have seen have impressed for fit finish and overall quality. i havent fired any or seen em fired but handling them they did not impress me enough for the price material quality wise. granted this opinion is subject to change if i ever get a chance to handle one with ammo.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:25 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Marksman View Post
There are a lot of differing opinions on that rifle and the majority of the ones I have seem have been not very complimentary. My particular opinion is that I would rather spend a little more and get a real AR that I can change uppers and lowers if I decide to. The Colt (in name only) your talking about is a dedicated .22 and can't be used any other way than the way it is sold. to be honest I would rather have a tacticool 10/22 then the Umarex. At least the 10/22 is made here.

I had the same choice a few months back and decided to spend the extra money. I bought a Remington R-15 and have never regretted it.

You know, I have to agree with you on wanting a "real AR" instead of a .22 lr version. I even had a moded 10/22 and ended up selling it. It wasn't that the Ruger 10/22 wasn't great, but that I enjoy shooting larger caliber rounds. That's just me though. The Colt M4 .22 rifle I shot that day was pretty nice and my friend (the owner and a Marine) has nothing but good things to say about it. However, I have heard that a some people prefer the S&W AR in .22 lr, as far as a dedicated .22 AR goes. Oh, well. It was cool to shoot it anyway.