Colt SP 6940? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Colt SP 6940?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1433 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I personally prefer the monolith flat top of the 6940.

It's optic ready.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrude1 View Post
I was choosing between the SP 6920 and the SP 6940, no LE option for me.

Colt SP 6920 at G&R Tactical

Colt SP 6940 at G&R Tactical
I believe we were all tracking correctly.

------

I wonder how heavy the 6940 is? Is there any proprietary-ness(?) to it?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That was my original thought, that it was optic ready. My early plans are to put an aimpoint red dot on the gun, not sure which one yet. Wouldn't the one piece rail be overkill for such a small optic? On the other hand I do intend on having a second AR set up for long range in the future. I suppose the single rail would be a great fit for that. So I guess my question is, would the 6940 make for a good long range gun? Or do I need something with a longer barrel? Thanks again and sorry for the noob questions.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrude1
That was my original thought, that it was optic ready. My early plans are to put an aimpoint red dot on the gun, not sure which one yet. Wouldn't the one piece rail be overkill for such a small optic? On the other hand I do intend on having a second AR set up for long range in the future. I suppose the single rail would be a great fit for that. So I guess my question is, would the 6940 make for a good long range gun? Or do I need something with a longer barrel? Thanks again and sorry for the noob questions.
I guess I should add that by long range I mean 300-500 yards.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I guess I dont understand how a longer rail makes for better accuracy over longer distances or how it makes the rifle more optics ready than the 6920.

The carry handle is removable and the upper reciever has a built in rail that just happens to be perfect for mounting an optic. The front sight post doesn't cause a problem.

IMO an 18" barrel w/ the gas port @ the rifle length is a good option for a "long range" rifle.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
I guess I dont understand how a longer rail makes for better accuracy over longer distances or how it makes the rifle more optics ready than the 6920.

The carry handle is removable and the upper reciever has a built in rail that just happens to be perfect for mounting an optic. The front sight post doesn't cause a problem.

IMO an 18" barrel w/ the gas port @ the rifle length is a good option for a "long range" rifle.
Ok, once again I am new and ignorant to AR's. I didn't realize that there was a built in rail under the carry handle. I was going off of what Cane said, "it's optic ready". I assumed that a larger rail would be needed for a larger scope for longer range shooting.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Don't worry about it and I apologize that I can come across as an A*s at times. Optics ready is a marketing term.

You don't need more than the rail on the receiver to mount an optic, even a high powered scope. Just use a cantilever mount. I do however like a railed hand guard. It does have to be as lightweight as possible though. Something like the Troy Ext tube.

Although I think Colt is one of the best ARs available I don't like the fact that they do not offer a mid length gas system.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #18

Liked 1433 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

My "optic ready" statement had to do with the lack of the front sight post that's on the 6920. It has flip-up sights should you need them but clear of them if you mount a scope.

When it comes to AR's, I'm not as old-school as I am with my 1911's. I find the old style hand guard and carry handle a little too dated for my taste.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
My "optic ready" statement had to do with the lack of the front sight post that's on the 6920. It has flip-up sights should you need them but clear of them if you mount a scope.

When it comes to AR's, I'm not as old-school as I am with my 1911's. I find the old style hand guard and carry handle a little too dated for my taste.
I agree with Cane, while I never got to know the old style gun I am a fan of the newer 6940 look. Thanks again for everybody's help. Now I just need to make a decision.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

My "marketing" comment wasn't directed toward you Cane. I respect your knowledge and think the 6940 is an awesome rifle.

I also agree that the OE plastic HG and carry handle is a little dated. I much prefer flip-ups w/ a 12"-13" Troy Extreme. The flip-ups make for a clearer sight picture and the long rail allows for a more comfortable and controllable grip.

However I do not have a problem w/ the OE front site post and flip-up rear in conjunction w/ an Aimpoint. I don't notice the FPS at all.

Cane, what do you think the 6940 weighs w/o RDS but w/ BUIS?