Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Colt or Rock River Arms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4469 Times on 2357 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Ill probably just use it for range time, but I want to be able to have full confidence in my AR should SHTF. That's what I mean by rock solid dependable.
for that i prefer colt or bcm but colt doesnt offer a midlength 556. so i went with bcm

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
Ill probably just use it for range time, but I want to be able to have full confidence in my AR should SHTF. That's what I mean by rock solid dependable.
Colt, Daniel Defense, or BCM. Those are the only rifles I would ever TRULY trust my life to. They make everything to military specification and hand check everything before it leaves. Customer service and quality control is unmatched and I've yet to experience a malfunction with my DD or BCM that wasn't magazine related. In my opinion the colt AR line is a bit overpriced, and should be. It's a colt. The best known name in firearms. The DD can be a little high as well if you don't shop around. So all in all if I were you I would be looking at a BCM mid-length carbine. Lightweight is good but not necessary. I wouldn't go heavy barrel though. LW or gov profile is best for what you would be doing. Rock solid platform for range and SHTF. Look up the filthy 14 and the DD torture test. Both rifles put through absolute hell and keep on eatin. In the end the decision is yours to make. If I had to have one rifle forever, it would probably be my BCM middy govt profile with DD lite rail. Mind you I have only had her a week now and only have 450 rnds thru her. I still have full confidence in what she is capable of. I plan on being very rough on that gun, not on purpose but without pampering. I'm excited about what I will find. Spend your money on good guns and good optics and you'll never regret it. You buy cheap, you'll buy twice. Happy shooting.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #13

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I can't find bcm around here and I think they're pretty back ordered...

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 07-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
Order online at bravocompanyusa.com. Ordered my upper on Friday two and a half weeks ago and had it at my door the following tues. they're not backed up. They're just putting out!! Lol. I'll be happy to answer or help with any questions you may have along the way. Think very hard and research greatly what you want on your weapon. There are so many options that you will inevitably add things after you think you're set. But it's best to think as far into it as you can before purchase. Certain set ups for certain things. If they still have it the EAG tactical upper or complete rifles are pretty neat. If not shop around in the complete uppers section. 14.5 or 16". I like em as short as possible without getting the NRA involved so I go 14.5 with pinned muzzle device. There is no "this one is better than that one" on BCM.com either. They wouldn't sell junk. Everything is good stuff.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 22

If you want to shoot tight groups at the range and that's it...get the RRA.

If you want to fight off hoards of zombies/aliens/etc...advantage Colt. Or better yet, go with a BCM or Spikes middy build. Better gun, less money, in my moderately informed opinion.

I know a lot of 1911 and AR fans who love their Colts. Heck, I wouldn't mind adding either one. But I also know a LGS owner (and recent Army Ranger) who used to be a big Colt homer on both accounts. He's now 100% sworn both off due to what he calls '"inconsistent quality and lack of integrity".

Please understand, that's just me telling you someone else's opinion. But it is an opinion I respect. Colt has produced a lot of good product. They also seem to dwell in a constant state of mismanagement and bankruptcy, according to my friend.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124

Order online at bravocompanyusa.com. Ordered my upper on Friday two and a half weeks ago and had it at my door the following tues. they're not backed up. They're just putting out!! Lol. I'll be happy to answer or help with any questions you may have along the way. Think very hard and research greatly what you want on your weapon. There are so many options that you will inevitably add things after you think you're set. But it's best to think as far into it as you can before purchase. Certain set ups for certain things. If they still have it the EAG tactical upper or complete rifles are pretty neat. If not shop around in the complete uppers section. 14.5 or 16". I like em as short as possible without getting the NRA involved so I go 14.5 with pinned muzzle device. There is no "this one is better than that one" on BCM.com either. They wouldn't sell junk. Everything is good stuff.
NFA not NRA. Lol. ATF is a better acronym.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #17

Liked 133 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
They always say they're "back ordered." Shoot them an e-mail, have your FFL call. I've had my last two "back ordered" BCM's in less than 9 business days.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #18

Liked 549 Times on 291 Posts

RRA is a good gun, couple of shooting buddies have them. But I will always believe in Colt. Had one as a service rifle, and they thing can take a beating and still be on target at 500 meters with open sights. Not sure what length of barrel ,gas system , and twist rate your looking to get. Make sure you know what your expectations are for the weapon and buy the right configuration to meet those needs. I owned an AR in the past but sold it , and now I'm 80% complete on a build from scratch and I'm still having a hard time figuring how I want to finish the barrel. I want CQC and an accurate range rifle, but I got to compromise somewhere. When buying a complete rifle make sure you know all the specs, an how they relate to your expectations.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #19

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Okay, I think I've been persuaded to the Colt 6920. Tomorrow or Wednesday will be it. Pics soon to follow. Thank you for the advice guys!

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 07-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #20

Liked 729 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 698

The Colt 6920 is an excellent choice, so is the lightweight 6720.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.