Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Colt or Rock River Arms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Default Colt or Rock River Arms?

Hey gurus. Please take pity on an ignorant man and offer advice. I'm looking at my first AR buy and am torn between a Rock River Arms CAR 15, and a Colt carbine. Both do NOT have a chrome bolt carrier group, but the Rock River might have the 2 stage trigger. They are both new, and priced at $879 for the RR, and $1,119 for the Colt. I am looking for quality, and rock solid reliability. If you have advice and/or suggestions, please contribute. I am looking in that price range. Thank you FTF family.

Last edited by JonM; 07-23-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: fixed title

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #2

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Neither the chromed BCG or 2 stage trigger matter a lick for reliability. Both are simple upgrades if future funds are available. Both the Colt and RRA are fine, reliable rifles that will serve you well for years to come. It really boils down to finances and personal preference. Me personally, I would go with the RRA and use the savings for a good red dot or some other accessory. YMMV

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

billt Likes This 
Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

Thanks jpyle! Ill wait for others to chime in before I bite the bullet on which carbine, but I've lined up a magpul stock, vertical foregrip, mako quad rail, some pro mags, Troy industries buis, and an eotech. I'll have to track down a vortex flash hider next!

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Rock solid reliable? I've never heard any complaints about colt AR's EVER. Nuff said? Research the www. See what you can find.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4462 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

colt hands down. rra are good guns ive got a rra national match a2 and their 458socom upper. if you want a milspec rugged gotowar zombie shtf gun then no contest its the colt. if you want a tack driving shooter for the range and your not going to run it hard and put it away wet then rra will do the job.

ive broken a few parts in my rra and its only a light use range gun that never is allowed to over heat in the slightest.

i LOVE my RRA its a tack driving monster but i wont take it to war and its not the gun that i will pick up if things go ohsht.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #6

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I own both, two completely different guns for two completely different purposes.

The Colt LE6940 is a LW carbine and just can't be beat for this job.

The RRA is a 458SOCOM hog getter. Another "can't be beat for the job" gun.

What do you want to do with your AR?

I have nothing but praise for both and happy with my choice.

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #7

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

When in doubt Sam Colt started selling guns to The Texas Rangers in 1847 and are still one of the most respected names in firearms in 2012. If that's not a proven reputation nothing is.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Of the two I'd go with the Colt. Or better yet get a midlength BCM for a little less money - and I did but I don't know what your uses are.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #9

Ill probably just use it for range time, but I want to be able to have full confidence in my AR should SHTF. That's what I mean by rock solid dependable.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 07-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #10

Liked 133 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Rock River Arms CAR 15, and a Colt carbine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
$1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Or better yet get a midlength BCM for a little less money.
Another member of the BCM Fan Club beat me to my "well...imo..."