Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Colt or Rock River Arms? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/colt-rock-river-arms-68782/)

Mosin 07-23-2012 05:05 PM

Colt or Rock River Arms?

Hey gurus. Please take pity on an ignorant man and offer advice. I'm looking at my first AR buy and am torn between a Rock River Arms CAR 15, and a Colt carbine. Both do NOT have a chrome bolt carrier group, but the Rock River might have the 2 stage trigger. They are both new, and priced at $879 for the RR, and $1,119 for the Colt. I am looking for quality, and rock solid reliability. If you have advice and/or suggestions, please contribute. I am looking in that price range. Thank you FTF family.

Jpyle 07-23-2012 05:16 PM

Neither the chromed BCG or 2 stage trigger matter a lick for reliability. Both are simple upgrades if future funds are available. Both the Colt and RRA are fine, reliable rifles that will serve you well for years to come. It really boils down to finances and personal preference. Me personally, I would go with the RRA and use the savings for a good red dot or some other accessory. YMMV

Mosin 07-23-2012 07:24 PM

Thanks jpyle! Ill wait for others to chime in before I bite the bullet on which carbine, but I've lined up a magpul stock, vertical foregrip, mako quad rail, some pro mags, Troy industries buis, and an eotech. I'll have to track down a vortex flash hider next!

broke-again124 07-23-2012 07:40 PM

Rock solid reliable? I've never heard any complaints about colt AR's EVER. Nuff said? Research the www. See what you can find.

JonM 07-23-2012 07:43 PM

colt hands down. rra are good guns ive got a rra national match a2 and their 458socom upper. if you want a milspec rugged gotowar zombie shtf gun then no contest its the colt. if you want a tack driving shooter for the range and your not going to run it hard and put it away wet then rra will do the job.

ive broken a few parts in my rra and its only a light use range gun that never is allowed to over heat in the slightest.

i LOVE my RRA its a tack driving monster but i wont take it to war and its not the gun that i will pick up if things go ohsht.

canebrake 07-23-2012 07:45 PM

I own both, two completely different guns for two completely different purposes.

The Colt LE6940 is a LW carbine and just can't be beat for this job.

The RRA is a 458SOCOM hog getter. Another "can't be beat for the job" gun.

What do you want to do with your AR?

I have nothing but praise for both and happy with my choice.

cane

KeysKelly 07-23-2012 07:49 PM

When in doubt Sam Colt started selling guns to The Texas Rangers in 1847 and are still one of the most respected names in firearms in 2012. If that's not a proven reputation nothing is.

Quentin 07-23-2012 08:29 PM

Of the two I'd go with the Colt. Or better yet get a midlength BCM for a little less money - and I did but I don't know what your uses are.

Mosin 07-24-2012 12:16 AM

Ill probably just use it for range time, but I want to be able to have full confidence in my AR should SHTF. That's what I mean by rock solid dependable.

Seven 07-24-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 879349)
Rock River Arms CAR 15, and a Colt carbine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 879349)
$1,119

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 879505)
Or better yet get a midlength BCM for a little less money.

Another member of the BCM Fan Club beat me to my "well...imo..." ;)