Colt Question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Colt Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I believe its made by Umarex but the roll mark is Colt. Its licensed, but not really a colt.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/10/tyler-kee/umarexcolt-ar-15-22-part-1/

Old 04-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #12

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks Agent. After reading that article I'm glad I bought the M&P. Any other info about the M4 roll mark would be appreciated. Loved your stickie btw.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #13

Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I believe its made by Umarex but the roll mark is Colt. Its licensed, but not really a colt.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/10/tyler-kee/umarexcolt-ar-15-22-part-1/
A fair review of the Colt. The safety and BHO do operate differently but cosmetically and the weight/balance you have to admit the Colt M4 tactical .22lr excels. I carefully compared the S&W and Colt but in the end the metal receivers, weight and looks swung me to the Colt. It just felt like an AR not an airsoft. My buddy got the S&W and we kid around a lot but in the end both rifles function great if you avoid Remington Golden Bullet value pack. The S&W gets a lot of love but it's wise to compare it with the Colt firsthand.

Honestly the safety and BHO aren't a big deal for me, I fire a mag (a full 30 rounds, not 25) and the internal BHO locks back the bolt. Change mags and continue firing. Safety? What safety? Just shoot!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
Quentin, ... Did Wal-Mart's price include the carry handle and was it M4 roll marked? I've never seen a Colt AR or any AR at Wal-Mart(Florida). Thanks for the help Quentin.
I think Colt isn't including a carry handle on recent 6920s. Some may be OR, some with the MBUS2 and I've heard of Matech. I've never seen a commercial 6920 marked M4 firsthand, just LE or SP but I know they do mark some M4. I don't know what will turn up for you. And if you buy online make sure you get the rollmark you want. If I were in the market for a Colt, I'd want it to say M4 but wouldn't let that stop me if I found a deal on LE or SP.

Carry handles are easy to find but be sure to get one that's milspec height and has a quality forge mark like Cardinal, Cerro Forge, Anchor Harvey, Brass Aluminum Works, etc.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #15

Quentin, the one I'm looking at is roll marked M4, the serial number starts with LE. It has the carrying handle BUIS and fixed front sight/gas block. It has carbine length hand guards, and has a Rogers Super Stoc. The butt plate has the Colt logo and one side of the stock says Colt Defense. The pistol grip is not the reg plastic kind I'm used to, it's not like a Hogue, but it's more rubbery than any other stock one I've seen before and it doesn't have a storage compartment.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #16

Sounds like you found exactly what you want. Some people knock the Rogers Super Stock but I think it's an improvement over the old M4 stock.

______

Old 04-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #17

Quentin, do you have any other info about this set-up? I'm especially curious about the LE serial number and the non A2 pistol grip. The private seller is asking $1400. Thanks again for all the help.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #18

Well I've been biting my lip but have to say it, 1911, $1400 is a lot for a 6920, especially a used one. But if it's what you want you may kick yourself later if this is exactly what you want. As far as "M4 Carbine" stamped on the receiver, I'm afraid I misunderstood you, maybe that's quite common after all - now I can't remember exactly what was stamped on the receiver of the ones I've looked at. I was thinking of the prefix before 6920. Googling should turn up many pictures though.

As far as the A2 pistol grip, they are very easy to find for $5 or so - so don't worry about that if you want one.

I like a lot about the 6920 but won't buy one because you can get a BCM or Daniel Defense for around the same price and get more configurations. Myself, I prefer a LW profile 16" barrel and midlength gas. Colt does sell a pencil barrel in the 6720 but it's still 16" with carbine length gas. I, like many others here, never have bought a complete AR, I like to buy a stripped lower receiver then build it up from there using the parts I've researched and chosen. Now if you could buy a Colt rollmarked lower I would have been all over that but they're scarcer than hen's teeth. That said, carbine length gas will work fine in the 6920.

______

Old 04-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #19

Liked 1001 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 646

I just took a look at mine, bought a week ago. Serial # Starts with "LE", lower is marked "M4 Carbine". I was told at the gun shop that Colt stopped making this model with the carry handle for '13. That's what I wanted, though. If anyone has a Colt carry handle and wants to get rid of it, PM me.

I couldn't help but notice;
The manual says "pistol" on the front.
The ammo chart mentions 223, 9mm, & 7.62, but not 5.56. NOWHERE on the box, paperwork, or anything EXCEPT the lower receiver itself is 5.56 mentioned. Odd, yes?
The manual states "The firearms in this manual are classified as "semiautomatic assault weapons", under the 1994 crime bill. In the U.S.A. they are restricted to law enforcement/Government use only. These firearms are not for sale or resale to the general public." Really?

Old 04-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #20

It's NIB Quentin. I've heard Colt may stop civilian AR sales so I'm scared. Maybe I should just get it and then save again for a build. I'm sitting on two M&P stripped lowers, but I want to save them. If I get the Colt, any suggestions on getting another stripped lower?