Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Colt M16a1 parts kit questions???????? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/colt-m16a1-parts-kit-questions-36487/)

HighPlainsDrifter 01-06-2011 05:16 AM

Colt M16a1 parts kit questions????????

I noticed today while looking at JGsales website they are selling an advertised Colt m16a1 parts kit comes with everything but a lower, It even has the no no parts. Does anyone have experience with these kits? Its selling for like 500 bucks and at that price unless someone can talk me out of it im gonna buy it.Any info on this subject would be awesome thanks guys.

willfully armed 01-06-2011 05:41 AM

It is 100% legal to own full auto parts kits, fire controls, bolt and carrier.

It becomes a federal felony the moment that you install the parts to create a functional unregistered full auto/burst fire gun.

Last I checked, brownells had cheaper prices.

HighPlainsDrifter 01-06-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 416107)
It is 100% legal to own full auto parts kits, fire controls, bolt and carrier.

It becomes a federal felony the moment that you install the parts to create a functional unregistered full auto/burst fire gun.

Last I checked, brownells had cheaper prices.

Yeah i know i would have to discard the full auto parts. I was wondering about assembly without, and since it comes with a white barrel other then applying a finish is there anything else to be done? I will check brownells though, thanks.

RARGuns 01-06-2011 01:30 PM

It is legal but also very touchy as far ATF goes. If your caught with the means to produce a FA weapon and the ATF is in a bad mood, you will be charged. They will win. It's happened before.

HighPlainsDrifter 01-06-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RARGuns (Post 416255)
It is legal but also very touchy as far ATF goes. If your caught with the means to produce a FA weapon and the ATF is in a bad mood, you will be charged. They will win. It's happened before.

Yes i understand this I am planning on putting the full auto parts in the garbage as soon as i open the box If i do purchase the kit. Again I was wodering about the basic assembly of the kit finishing the barrel and putting the lower together.

Dillinger 01-06-2011 06:58 PM

I presume this is the one you are talking about:

Quote:

Colt M16A1 parts kit that includes a new 20inch 1 in 10 twist un-chromed barrel (that is not Colt, and is still in the white and needs final machining to fit the front sight). They have Colt trigger group Internals (may be missing some small parts), Colt M16A1 upper receiver, Colt bolt carrier group, barrel nut, handguards (which will have some cracks or chips), front sight, Colt accessory pack (sling and cleaning kit), and Colt buttstock. Does not include a lower receiver or magazine. ALL NFA Rules apply. No FFL required. Used, in very good to excellent condition.
Of immediate interest is that the barrel isn't finished. It says it needs "final machining for fitting the front sight", and I think on the Colt A2 that also acts as your gas block, so I don't think it's going to work right out of the box until you have the "minor" machining done.

DISCLAIMER: Colt is NOT my area of expertise and neither is the M16A1. I have only worked on a few M4, full auto carbines and have never built an M16A1 from the ground up, Colt or any other type, so don't take this with 100% certainty.

So, you have to dump the trigger, the hammer, the trigger release, the auto sear obviously, and it's recommended that you get a new fire control selector.

Those two things alone have me thinking of going another route. It's $500 plus shipping to get into it, only to turn around and spnd more money to get the parts you need to make it legal and POSSIBLY even pay for machine time to get the thing to function in the first place.

Then if it doesn't function, and you did the machining, the manufacturer is going to way buh-bye to you as the product has been "altered" from the way it was shipped.

I don't know brother, I would look around. I bet there are PLENTY of good uppers out there for this kind of money and you can spec your lower the way you want, since you are going to have to do that anyways with all the no-no parts that have to be binned.

I vote no-go for my own cash in this question.

Hope that helps.

JD

JonM 01-06-2011 07:27 PM

i think the sear is the only part that will get ya in hot water. you can have all the rest full auto parts but the sear is from what i understand considered the machine gun class 3 part.

i came across that same deal and got pretty exited over the 1-10 twist barrel, its close to the 1-12 im looking for, but reading in the white and minor machining to finish... bad deal.

finding a competent smith getting the machine work done $$$$ and the finishing plus its not chrome lined for a a1 means your gonna spend a ton of unnessecary money. IF you had a class 3 stripped lower it MIGHT be a good deal.

the other thing is it sounds like that kit has a lot of missing parts and some that arent in such good shape.

HighPlainsDrifter 01-06-2011 08:09 PM

Thanks guys for your input. This is what i have been looking for in terms of info. You guys have addressed what i was worried about as well.This would be my first build if i got this kit and i wanted to get info from people with more experience then I. I will take you word for it and write it off. Thanks again.

PTsouthpaw 01-06-2011 08:11 PM

Used U.S. Military Colt M16a1 Parts Kit, Shooting Supplies at Sportsman's Guide

Edit: I see that this is the same kit now. Should have searched for the one y'all were talking about first. Sorry I couldn't help

RARGuns 01-07-2011 01:42 PM

That one has an unfinished barrel also.