colt large pin upper on a milspec lower issues
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > colt large pin upper on a milspec lower issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default colt large pin upper on a milspec lower issues

Got a deal on a colt large pin upper and i'm trying to mount it on a milspec lower I finished building.

I ordered the offset bushing but it seems to be a pos, rotates in the upper, and the pivot pin will not fit though the bushing at all.

Has anyone filled the hole with JB weld, brass rod, etc and then drilled out the hole using the lower as a guide?

seems to me it would provide a much better, semi permenant fix without having to worry about the bushing rotating inside the upper.

thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1191 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 509

The name of the part you need is an offset bushing. I looked around a few places, but they seem to be out of stock. Perhaps you can find one on GunsAmerica, GunBroker, GunAction, local listings, etc.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Nevermind, found a place that says one is in stock:

http://blackrifleworks.com/colt-items-c-63.html

Google and see what prices you can get. It's literally a $2 part, if that.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8705 Times on 5034 Posts
Likes Given: 11315

Quote:
Originally Posted by red ryder View Post
Got a deal on a colt large pin upper and i'm trying to mount it on a milspec lower I finished building.

I ordered the offset bushing but it seems to be a pos, rotates in the upper, and the pivot pin will not fit though the bushing at all.

Has anyone filled the hole with JB weld, brass rod, etc and then drilled out the hole using the lower as a guide?

seems to me it would provide a much better, semi permenant fix without having to worry about the bushing rotating inside the upper.

thanks
I don't think I would bother with rigging it to work. I would find a large pin lower. I am just about positive that you can order one that way- but these days getting a special order anything might take awhile.

Maybe keep your eyes open for one on Gunbroker? Or post to the classifieds here.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #5

probably just going to try to find a milspec upper receiver and sell off the colt upper receiver, fix the issue for good.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #6

Quote:
probably just going to try to find a milspec upper receiver and sell off the colt upper receiver, fix the issue for good.
You might consider posting it here in the Classifieds.

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Is there any problem with using the offset bushing or do you just want a mil-spec upper?

Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #8

The offset bushing is too tight for the pivot pin so I can't get the pin through without enlarging the hole.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #9

Quote:
The offset bushing is too tight for the pivot pin so I can't get the pin through without enlarging the hole.
I would send them back, but before I did I would bring them to a gunsmith to verify that they are out of spec. first. That way if the outfit you got them from just turns them around and sends them back you can check them. Maybe put a stealth marking on them with a black Sharpie so you can tell if they are the same ones when you get them back.

Quote:

Old 04-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #10

Quote:
im looking for a colt A2 front large pin upper if you are ever interested in letting it go