Colt Competition/Marksman CRX
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Colt Competition/Marksman CRX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4387 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 2197

Default Colt Competition/Marksman CRX

Simple question: Does anyone know a reason to NOT BUY a Colt Marksman CRX for $900-some? (Other than saving money)

Also, is that a mid-length gas system?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #2

That's is the only reason not to buy it. The price is high, my dealer has it for $1220. If you can build one, you can save a lot of money and use the extra cash for your own specific upgrades. But there is nothing wrong with this rifle its built well and its hand made. The barrel is 16" so the gas system has to be mid- length. Its has a free floating tube on it. So if you can see one in person, you'll be able to see the the gas to is mid-length.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks tee. Online for <$1000. I wanna see if its just a market discount or some problems are known to exist. The handguard looks midlength, but a 16" barrel by itself does not guarantee a mid-length tube.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:24 AM   #4

Liked 340 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It's a solid option if you want an entry level turn-key rifle for under $1K and value the Colt name. None of those attributes really pique my interest, however.

I believe this is a carbine length gas (I could be wrong) rifle that Colt has someone else build for them. Looks to be a decent enough handguard, the 1:8 twist is a nice touch...but otherwise, it seems like the primary 'value' is that you can pay under $1K and claim it's a 'Colt'.

Not a terrible rifle. You can probably do way better with a build (PSA, BCM, AIM, etc) for similar money. But not everyone likes the idea of building.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:05 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
It's a solid option if you want an entry level turn-key rifle for under $1K and value the Colt name. None of those attributes really pique my interest, however.

I believe this is a carbine length gas (I could be wrong) rifle that Colt has someone else build for them. Looks to be a decent enough handguard, the 1:8 twist is a nice touch...but otherwise, it seems like the primary 'value' is that you can pay under $1K and claim it's a 'Colt'.

Not a terrible rifle. You can probably do way better with a build (PSA, BCM, AIM, etc) for similar money. But not everyone likes the idea of building.
Colt says hand built, FWIW. What IYO would be better for $1K? Not building.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Colt says hand built, FWIW. What IYO would be better for $1K? Not building.
Approximately 100% of the ARs on the current market are 'hand built'. To my knowledge, robots are not yet building AR15s. Does a gun enjoy added value because it was hand-built by a $12/hr temp? Like I said, I don't think this gun is terrible...I just think it's skating heavily on wearing the Colt name and expecting purchasers to pay extra for that attribute.

I suspect this gun is an $80 handguard better (and roll mark, if you love Colt) than a $600 S&W M&P Sport. All the other essentials seem to line up from what I see.

FYI, and for all those who don't want to build: You can build, without building! You can buy a super excellent complete lower for like $250 after all shipping, BGC, and Xfer fees. Then you can add a high grade midlength barreled upper (with excellent handguard/rail via PSA/BCM), BCG, CH, and sights of your choice. It can all be done for a price that will render this 'Colt' insignificant. And you won't actually have to build it. You'll assemble a few pieces that will not eclipse the basic knowledge required to clean your AR15.

That's my suggestion. If you feel the need to buy a complete rifle, the Colt isn't a terrible deal. It's just not a great one either. You could get $200-300 better in terms of quality for the same price...by assembling, and not even building.

Last edited by sweeper22; 05-10-2014 at 01:35 AM.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:48 AM   #7

And by the way, regarding my ^above^ post...

That's not to imply that good factory rifles buys don't exist. You don't have to 'build' to do well for yourself. But at $800-1300, it's almost impossible to beat to the build/basic assembly route in terms of quality gained for dollars spent.

And many posters here (myself included) would be happy to help you with the process...including a simple 'non-build' assembly.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:56 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you sweeper, I just don't want to make another project. You point about "hand built", it could mean anything or nothing. I forgot to mention, the rifle comes with a shot target, 0.4 MOA. As long as you take Colt's word for it, this is impressive, esp for a semiauto carbine. I'll dig a little more before deciding.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #9

Liked 290 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 441

I have actually seen a few Colts lately go for about $700 give or take. I am hoping that they are not taking DPMS's route and letting the QC slip just to dump a bunch of AR's on the market. DPMS was starting to put out some decent AR's prior to Sandy Hook, then started just slapping together guns to saturate the market. I hear their owners cussing left and right at Knob Creek gun range.