Colt or Armalite at the same price? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Colt or Armalite at the same price?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 02:47 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1191 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Of those three I'd go with the Colt 6920. It's an excellent duty AR, lighter and better than the heavy 6721 and ArmaLite. Now Colt also sells a lightweight (and I think, superior) version of the 6920 worth looking at, the 6720.

ArmaLite makes a decent midlength AR but they're so darn heavy. It is important to point out that they aren't the original ArmaLite that developed the AR-10/AR-15, that company went under long ago. Eagle Arms bought the name and the rights to "AR-10". Eagle/ArmaLite have done good things, including developing the first midlength gas system everyone wants today.

I used an ArmaLite HBAR upper for my first AR but sold it to get a much better Daniel Defense LW midlength upper.
The Colt 6720 is my choice of carbine until something demonstrably better comes along at a reasonable price.

The Colt 6721 has a heavy profile barrel with a 1 in 9 twist.

The Colt 6720 has a light profile barrel with a 1 in 7 twist.

The Colt 6920 has a government profile barrel with a 1 in 7 twist.

Here's my take on the issue:

1. Heavy profile barrels may be better for tighter groups as the barrel heats up, but the difference is marginal. If you heat up your barrel enough for it to have a significant effect on accuracy, it generally means you're in deep trouble and an inch either way of exactly where you were aiming means squat.

2. Government profile barrels are fat on the end and skinny under the hand guard. It permits you to mount a grenade launcher, but most of us don't have grenade launchers and few, if any, of us have any 40MM grenades.

3. The light profile barrel does heat up quicker, there is some dispersion or stringing of shots as a result, but it's a carbine and most of your shooting is going to occur at room-to-room distances, so a little shot to shot dispersion amounts to a lot of nothing.

The real question is this:

Do you want a target carbine?

If so, then go with the 6721.

Do you want a M4 look-alike?

If so, then go with the 6920 (or 6921 if you are willing to get the tax stamp).

Do you want a light weight defense carbine that is plenty accurate and quick to move from target to target?

If so, then go with the 6720.

The number of perfectly good carbines that were ruined by adding unnecessary pounds of weight to them with unnecessary crap is astonishing to me. I try to keep it light and easy to point because, from experience, heavy weapons suck if you actually have to carry them and/or use them.

If you don't have to carry it anywhere, then it doesn't matter. If weight is not a consideration, then get whatever you like.

I've owned all three. I sold the other two and I still have the 6720.

Apart from the barrel profile and twist rate, there's no other difference between the three apart from cosmetic features.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #12

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Good post kbd512! Really covers the various Colt models well. And I agree with you on the 6720, that's the Colt AR-15 I like the best. I came close to getting one but instead went with DD and BCM midlength pencil barrels.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Colt 6721I'd personally go with the 6721, mainly for the heavy bbl. and the ammo flexibility afforded by its 1:9 twist.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #14

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default 6721

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
The Colt 6720 is my choice of carbine until something demonstrably better comes along at a reasonable price.

The Colt 6721 has a heavy profile barrel with a 1 in 9 twist.

The Colt 6720 has a light profile barrel with a 1 in 7 twist.

The Colt 6920 has a government profile barrel with a 1 in 7 twist.

Here's my take on the issue:

1. Heavy profile barrels may be better for tighter groups as the barrel heats up, but the difference is marginal. If you heat up your barrel enough for it to have a significant effect on accuracy, it generally means you're in deep trouble and an inch either way of exactly where you were aiming means squat.

2. Government profile barrels are fat on the end and skinny under the hand guard. It permits you to mount a grenade launcher, but most of us don't have grenade launchers and few, if any, of us have any 40MM grenades.

3. The light profile barrel does heat up quicker, there is some dispersion or stringing of shots as a result, but it's a carbine and most of your shooting is going to occur at room-to-room distances, so a little shot to shot dispersion amounts to a lot of nothing.

The real question is this:

Do you want a target carbine?

If so, then go with the 6721.

Do you want a M4 look-alike?

If so, then go with the 6920 (or 6921 if you are willing to get the tax stamp).

Do you want a light weight defense carbine that is plenty accurate and quick to move from target to target?

If so, then go with the 6720.

The number of perfectly good carbines that were ruined by adding unnecessary pounds of weight to them with unnecessary crap is astonishing to me. I try to keep it light and easy to point because, from experience, heavy weapons suck if you actually have to carry them and/or use them.

If you don't have to carry it anywhere, then it doesn't matter. If weight is not a consideration, then get whatever you like.

I've owned all three. I sold the other two and I still have the 6720.

Apart from the barrel profile and twist rate, there's no other difference between the three apart from cosmetic features.
Not quite true. The 6721 with the 24" SS barrel also has and enhanced trigger that is far superior to the stock 6920 trigger. More like the NM trigger on RRA's and has the A2 stock rather than the M4 stock.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1191 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnev View Post
Not quite true. The 6721 with the 24" SS barrel also has and enhanced trigger that is far superior to the stock 6920 trigger. More like the NM trigger on RRA's and has the A2 stock rather than the M4 stock.
You're referring to the 6724. That's a different model with a completely different configuration from the models I've made reference to.

I'm not sure Colt still makes that model.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #16

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Colt 6724

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
You're referring to the 6724. That's a different model with a completely different configuration from the models I've made reference to.

I'm not sure Colt still makes that model.
Yo are correct I was referring to the 6724. Can't keep the models straight. But I'd still go with the 6721 because of the heavy barrel.

Last edited by samnev; 04-18-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #17

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I can't speak to Armalite quality.

I can say I like my Colt AR. Just meat and

potatoes, but sturdy, solid, and dependable.

It's got a HBAR 1/7, and with the right ammo,

I can shoot 3MOA with iron sights, if I do my

job and concentrate.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:57 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I just received my Colt 6721. It will be mostly for at the range so the weight shouldn't be an issue. The prices now I think are really good and Colt has a promotion for a free soft side case.

It looks nice and I am really pleased with the fit between the upper and lower. No movement at all. Trigger is also quite good for a mil spec. and being new. Not crazy about the forging flash in the trigger well, however not a big deal as it's normal for Colt.

Threw some Magpul funiture on it which looks nice.

Have to get out this weekend to the range.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #19

Liked 237 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrgvup View Post
Thanks for all the input. I just received my Colt 6721. It will be mostly for at the range so the weight shouldn't be an issue. The prices now I think are really good and Colt has a promotion for a free soft side case.

It looks nice and I am really pleased with the fit between the upper and lower. No movement at all. Trigger is also quite good for a mil spec. and being new. Not crazy about the forging flash in the trigger well, however not a big deal as it's normal for Colt.

Threw some Magpul funiture on it which looks nice.

Have to get out this weekend to the range.
I think you will be happy with your Colt for many years.
Enjoy.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin