Colt or Armalite at the same price?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Colt or Armalite at the same price?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Colt or Armalite at the same price?

About ready order a Colt AR6721 or LE6920. Leaning more to the 6721 for at the range. However the Armalite M-15 with the mid length gas an 2 stage trigger has me intrigued.

If they were all about the same price what would you pick?

Thanks!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2014, 03:33 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have both. Both great guns, but you can never go wrong with a Colt

Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #3

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

I'd go along with Sandhills on this one. Both are great quality, but Colt has the name recognition, which can translate into a higher resale value.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

John_Deer Likes This 
Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #4

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Colt 6721

The Colt 6721 would be my choice.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 203 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
I'd go along with Sandhills on this one. Both are great quality, but Colt has the name recognition, which can translate into a higher resale value.
I don't know and can't comment on which is the better option but didn't Amaralite design the AR?

Old 04-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #6

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
I don't know and can't comment on which is the better option but didn't Amaralite design the AR?
Eugene Stoner was working for Armalite when he invented the AR10, which was the original design, and they still hold the trademark for the AR10. When the military (Air Force, I believe, because General LeMay wanted the pilots to have the lightweight rifle to survive when they got shot down) wanted a rifle, they first went to Colt to get something that shot a .22 so the troops could carry more ammo. Colt got the contract and worked a deal out with Armalite to use the AR15 trademark and design for the lower caliber. I think Stoner was instrumental in the lower caliber design and specs. Not sure of all of the details, but that is it in a nutshell. I am sure some other members will see some details to add or correct at a later date, but due to not too hot internet connection right now, I am just having to go off of memory from a research paper I had to do at BNCOC in 2008.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Quentin Likes This 
Old 04-15-2014, 04:31 AM   #7
BRL

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrgvup View Post
...However the Armalite M-15 with the mid length gas an 2 stage trigger has me intrigued.

If they were all about the same price what would you pick?

Thanks!!
My personal humble opinion is if you plan on selling your AR-15 somewhere down the road to your typical buyer, then I would go with the Colt brand name.

You can always tell them that each bolt and barrel is magnetic particle tested...if the QC guy is actually paying attention to each and every bolt & barrel coming off the assembly line that is.

Other than that, I understand that most uppers and lowers come from only a few forges, and the best are forged from T-7076 aluminum or something like that.

If I was planning on keeping this AR, and wanted to reduce aftermarket purchases, I would probably prefer a mid-length gas barrel and a 2-stage trigger from the get-go.

YMMV.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:45 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2151 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 799

I will agree that a colt will have a better resale value. Your average Joe has never heard of Armalite. Armalite? Do you need to seal your crawl space?

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

fsted2a Likes This 
Old 04-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #9

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1074

Of those three I'd go with the Colt 6920. It's an excellent duty AR, lighter and better than the heavy 6721 and ArmaLite. Now Colt also sells a lightweight (and I think, superior) version of the 6920 worth looking at, the 6720.

ArmaLite makes a decent midlength AR but they're so darn heavy. It is important to point out that they aren't the original ArmaLite that developed the AR-10/AR-15, that company went under long ago. Eagle Arms bought the name and the rights to "AR-10". Eagle/ArmaLite have done good things, including developing the first midlength gas system everyone wants today.

I used an ArmaLite HBAR upper for my first AR but sold it to get a much better Daniel Defense LW midlength upper.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

fsted2a Likes This 
Old 04-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 203 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk