Colt ar-15a2-(ar6520) ?????

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Colt ar-15a2-(ar6520) ?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colt ar-15a2-(ar6520) ?????

New to the AR forum but have been reading for a few days here. Thinking about an AR build and really like reading the how to's on this site. Looks like a great next project.

I have found a Colt AR-15A2 Gov't Carbine model (AR6520) for sale and I am hoping to get a good deal on this gun. I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this particular model. Any information...the good, the bad and the ugly would be much appreciated.

ar.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #2

The only thing about a colt is its Pins that hold together the upper and lower reciever are slighty bigger and thus not interchangable with other brands....So For a rebuild you may be limited on what you can and can't do. I might be mistaken on this but I am pretty sure that I am not. Just might want to look into that.

Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike.

Theodore Roosevelt

Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #3

LittleBear's correct. Pivot pins and trigger/hammer pins might be larger, depending on when the lower was made. I'd take a trip back to the shop and measure the diameter of the pins. Colt's larger pivot pin is .312" (me thinks) and should be a bouble ended screw as opposed to a regular push pin, while "standard" i.e. everyone else on the planet, is .250" push pin. I would definitely measure them though as going by year of manufacture alone might not be reliable. If the front and rear pins are both the same it is a "small pin" lower so you'll be compatible with an other brand upper.

If it has the larger pivot pin, you can get adapter bushings to allow another upper with a .250" pivot pin hole to mate up. If the Colt's lower has the larger trigger and hammer pins, you would need to get parts specific to the Colt's pin dimensions if you wanted to replace the trigger and or hammer.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-