Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Colt AR-15 trigger job (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/colt-ar-15-trigger-job-70137/)

piggy8269 08-12-2012 02:50 AM

Colt AR-15 trigger job

Just bought my first Colt 6940LE and love it!!!!! I have already put 1000 round thought it to break it in. The trigger still still feels very tight, I think it is at 7-8 lbs. factory trigger pull.
Is it worth it to get a trigger job?? Can anyone recommend a good lbs. for the trigger. I want it to be light and crisp when I shoot so I don't have it move when I am target shooting.
Thanks!!

JonM 08-12-2012 03:31 AM

i like the rra 2stage for target shooting. timmney and a few others make drop in kits while much pricier than the rra are beyound excellent in crispness and smoothness

okdonk 08-12-2012 05:15 AM

I put ALG ACT with JP springs kit in all my ARs. Much cheaper than timney or Gisselle, so far i'm liking it. Pull is crisp and i'm quite satissfied for the price. If i have extra funds.. thinking of getting the Gisselle's.

PrimePorkchop 08-12-2012 05:18 AM

I was wanting to do the same with my Colt AR15. After you get a new one installed and test it out, i'd be curious to hear back from you on what you got and how you like it...it might influence my purchase decision =)

steve4102 08-12-2012 11:38 AM

I send mine to Bill Springfield, $40-60 depending on what you want.

Sniper03 08-12-2012 04:05 PM

There is no doubt in my mind as JonM suggested. Just get a Rock River Arms 2 Stage NM Trigger. For target or tactical apps it is one of the best and you do not have to pay an arm and a leg for one. And I am sure you rifle has the small mil-spec .154/.155 Trigger and Hammer Pins so it will be a simple drop in! Should be able to find one for $125 or less at a gun show or dealer.
I am not into the bending of springs and certainly not any metal removal on the standard single stage trigger since they are case hardened on the surface and if one goes through the case hardening the wear will significantly increase and the trigger will be trashed.
You will be more than pleased with the RRA 2 Stage. It comes with 1lb. free travel first stage and a 3.75 lb let off. But after it breaks in (est. 200 rounds) it will have a 1 Lb free travel first stage and a 3.5lb. let off. And the *Reset between shots is phenomenal. I have JPS and other triggers but for the money you can not beat this trigger it is as good as any of the high dollar units.:)

AgentTikki 08-13-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 901372)

There is no doubt in my mind as JonM suggested. Just get a Rock River Arms 2 Stage NM Trigger. For target or tactical apps it is one of the best and you do not have to pay an arm and a leg for one. And I am sure you rifle has the small mil-spec .154/.155 Trigger and Hammer Pins so it will be a simple drop in! Should be able to find one for $125 or less at a gun show or dealer.
I am not into the bending of springs and certainly not any metal removal on the standard single stage trigger since they are case hardened on the surface and if one goes through the case hardening the wear will significantly increase and the trigger will be trashed.
You will be more than pleased with the RRA 2 Stage. It comes with 1lb. free travel first stage and a 3.75 lb let off. But after it breaks in (est. 200 rounds) it will have a 1 Lb free travel first stage and a 3.5lb. let off. And the *Reset between shots is phenomenal. I have JPS and other triggers but for the money you can not beat this trigger it is as good as any of the high dollar units.:)

Sniper03.

In your personal experience with the RRA NM 2 stage triggers, have any of the higher round count (3000+) ever 1) turned int a mushy 1 stage trigger, 2)doubled/tripled or 3) gone full auto on you?

I just read a see alot of people saying this and would like to see if your experience with these has been different. How many triggers have you experiences and can you give an approx round count?

JonM 08-14-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 902803)
Sniper03.

In your personal experience with the RRA NM 2 stage triggers, have any of the higher round count (3000+) ever 1) turned int a mushy 1 stage trigger, 2)doubled/tripled or 3) gone full auto on you?

I just read a see alot of people saying this and would like to see if your experience with these has been different. How many triggers have you experiences and can you give an approx round count?

those issues were on the earlier ones. i havent heard of that happening with current production. ive got about 700ish rounds across mine and i have no idea how many thousands of dry fires. range days ill prolly dry fire for an hour or so on occassion when i feel im having some trigger control issues.