Colt AR-15...Are the LE and MT of different quality? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Colt AR-15...Are the LE and MT of different quality?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Mil spec means that the part meet's the specs set forth by the military arms review board (Or what ever it is called).

Old 01-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #12

Default To Put to Rest the Colt Issue.

Here is what you Need to know.
The Colt Ar-15 is prized most because they were the first to and the most expensive. Yes other manufactures have taken the Colt torch and made the AR-15 availible to civilians.
The AR-15 can be made into any weapon you want. The lower reciever you can buy anywhere and and the uppers as well. If you want an A3 model mil-spec then you can simply buy the lower reciever and the A3 Upper reciever. If you bought a A2 and want an A3 simply remove the barrel and and change out the upper reciever and forward barrel gaurd and site. If you want a CAR-15 (or other wise known as M-4) simply remove the butt and forward assemple (barrel, and forward guard).
You will need special tools to remove the barrel and pin punches to remove foward site.
In any case what ever type of Colt you want you can own legally. The barrel length is the only thing you have to make sure is long enough not to land you in jail. Check your local laws for legal length. The heavy barrel on the H-bar Colt is a match barrel with tighter twist on the riflings and has a slight reduction in the barrel for higher vilocity. I would recomend that barrel or Colt for your first if you are still looking. Best Colt (AR-15 A2 H-BAR, Match Rifle)

I am a gunsmith with many years working on AR's

PS Yes the M-16 lower reciever is designed to hold the M-16 Selector switch and Hammer. the upper reciever is the same as the Colt AR-15 but the Bolt carrier is heavier and designed to handle full auto any atempt to change An AR-15 to A M-16 will end up in time exploiding on you. if anyone reading this has done that allready then you are takeing your life in your own hands and your freedom if you dont have full auto liciense

Last edited by Warhawk; 01-08-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
As far as I'm concerned the whole "Mil-spec" thing is over blown and misunderstood. It is not possible for a current manufacture AR-15 to be "Mil-spec" because it is semi-auto only. Part of the mil-spec is the selectfire capability. The firing pin is different. The bolt carrier is different. The lower is different. An AR is NOT milspec, period.
I'm shocked! I've been ripped off!...so can we call it "Civilian Spec?"

Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3573 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 396

"Mil Spec" is the dimensional, tolerance, finish, heat treatment and testing specifications for the rifle.
The dimensions and tolerances are specified to give parts interchageability needed so drop in replacements are easily handled at Company or Garrison levels.
Finish is to insure corrosion resistance.
Heat treatment is to insure strength.
Testing is to make sure it is accurate enough and the heat treatment was done properly.

WTS, the main issue is the bolt. Colt and FN are the only two makers that consistantly test the bolt to "Mil Spec". The testing involves placing the heat treated bolt in a test fixture, firing a "Proof Load" and then magnetic particle testing the bolt for stress cracks. The bolt is then marked "MP" meaning it has been magnetic particle (magnaflux) tested. All Colt bolts are magnetic particle tested. For a short time they deleted the "MP" marking on the bolts going into the civilian guns. They did so to save a few pennies (engraving MP on the already heat treated bolt was difficult and time consuming). They abandoned the cost saving measure when the customers complained the bolts were no longer magnetic particle tested. They were still properly tested, they were just not marked. Any bolt marked with a "C" for Colt IS magnetic particle tested.

None of the other makers test the bolts in this manner. This certainly does not mean the bolts are cracked and prone to failure. I have never seen a failed bolt, ever.

As far as the "Match" part of the Colt Match Target rifles. A friend has a Colt MT that will not shoot any better than 3" at 100 yards. He sent it back to Colt, they test fired it and said 3" is perfectly w/in their specs for a MT rifle. If they think 3" is "Match" I am disappointed.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #15

OK, OK I'll get serious for a moment but don't expect me to act this way very much...Mil-Spec is literally "Military Specification" or a book of specs or tolerances, finishes and on and on as required by the US Military. Some commercial stuff is possibly better and some not quite. Think of it as nominal acceptablity. Ok now I'm going back in my room...good night!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:05 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

We are getting 10 LE6920's at work.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

if your speaking military stuff mil-spec means it is made to given dimensions and finishes as stated above but by the lowest bidder. in civilian terms it means a part or collection of parts meets the military dimensions, finish on the parts in the civilian world may or may not meet the standard and quality of the part is purely left to the buyer to determine.

when i look for parts for certain pieces of military collectable arms i have i look for milspec parts so i know they will fit the weapon with little to no mods on my part. milspec is a way for the military to be reasonably certain most parts will fit into most weapons for easy field repair.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #18

Default in reply to the mil-spec debate.

Ok here is the skinny to Mil-spec. The US Military Has specifice criteria for how Weapons it wants for its personel. For Example: the 5.56 1/7 barrel is designed for nato and civilan amo. It is heavier and has more durability in combat. That is why you will only see them on the Pre-ban and Gov. only models. You as a civilian can buy theys barrels if you want. They are available to the public. But there is a growing demand for the few Military chomoly Barrels because they Hold up even better. These barrels were given to a few commands for testing and had good results. Now back to the civian barrel. other manufactures of the ar barrel do not make the nato barrel i mentioned above. these barrels will only shoot the .223 round only and not the nato 5.56. Now I know some of you are saying wait a minute the 5.56 and .223 are the same round. Believe it or not, they are not. You can not fire the 5.56 Nato round in a civilian .223 barrel Safely or in some case at all. The casing on the Nato round is heavier and will not fit in the breach. So you See when I say the Mil-spec Is really what you want in an AR that is what you really want. but for the extras, Like floating rails and adjustable stocks, after market is indead better than military spec. Larue Makes the best Floating Picatiny Rail system with its anit torque clip. expensive but worth it have them on my own AR's

any more questions