Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > COLT AR-15 A3 new in box for $1190 ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 04:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default COLT AR-15 A3 new in box for $1190 ??

i'm buying a gun from a local guy and he has a A3 new-in-box for $1190.
I dont keep up with these guns but always wanted an AR.

What do you think about this gun...any good?
and the price?

THANKS !!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx680 View Post
i'm buying a gun from a local guy and he has a A3 new-in-box for $1190.
I dont keep up with these guns but always wanted an AR.

What do you think about this gun...any good?
and the price?

THANKS !!
It's probably fine, but the few Colts I have handled have been disappointing. Upper/lower fit has been loose, and there was nothing remarkable about them. They're easily in the same grade as Rock River, Bushmaster, Stag and others, but you end up paying more for a Colt.

You can buy or put together a comparable or better rifle for significantly less money.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

May be a bit late to jump in here, but +1 on what bkt said.

Colt makes a good product, and they have been around a long time doing it. They have had their ups and downs with quality, just like every other manufacturer out there. Having said that, they will be there in ten years if you want to resell the weapon. Colt has a name that people know, they also know that and charge accordingly.

There is nothing wrong with the right Colt. But, and I have said this a hundred times, for the MOST part, a receiver is a receiver is a receiver. There is a difference if you are buying a pot metal, pressed one out of junk, but I am talking the average, good old US of A made AR Receivers.

Unless you are buying a specific receiver that is either 1) CNC machine cut for a specific purpose, or 2) You are a brand name bigot and can't see beyond that fact, you aren't going to get some magical performance out of Brand X that you aren't going to be able to get out of Brand Y if the internals are all the same.

I don't have too many facts on the rifle you are looking at, so please allow me to think out loud on a few things.

Colt makes two types of receivers, ones with large pins ( around .172" or so depending on who is doing the measurement ) and ones with small pins ( around .154").

If you buy a model with large pins, and you wish to change the trigger group, you will have to buy a Colt compatiable model, which usually runs $10 to $20 more. Most models of "drops ins" will say something to the effect of "fits most model ARs ( except Colt ).

$1190 is a LOT of money in the AR world, even with the election looming.

If you are getting a free floated front handguard, with fold down analog sights, a good trigger and a good quality barrel, I can maybe see going that high.

However, if you want to throw $1200 at a 16" chrome lined, generic front end, fixed sight, A3 platform that goes bang, PLEASE PM ME - I could use the ( at least ) $350 profit from making this for you.

JD

EDIT: I JUST REALIZED YOU MAY HAVE POSTED IMAGES OF THE RIFLE IN QUESTION. I AM AT WORK AND THE NAZI I.T. DEPARTMENT FILTERS ALL HOSTED IMAGES. IF THAT IS THE CASE, I APOLOGIZE FOR THE OBVIOUS QUESTION ABOUT IT'S CONFIGURATION.

Last edited by Dillinger; 11-03-2008 at 08:43 PM.