Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Colt AR-15 A3 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/colt-ar-15-a3-281/)

janiesgotagun 05-07-2007 06:06 PM

Colt AR-15 A3

Why is so hard to get a hold of Colt AR-15 A3? If anyone knows where I could get one, that would be fantastic.

bkt 05-07-2007 06:19 PM

According to Southern Ohio Guns, Colt sells this particular model to LEOs and government, and does not offer these to civilians. However, they are legal to own by civilians. So that might be part of your answer: the supplier has limited the product's accessibility. (That's dumb business.)

BrassMonkey 05-08-2007 05:57 AM

You can find many dealers who sell Colt LEO only models to civilians. Colt is the sole supplier of the M4 and the A3 to the military. With two wars going on right now and contract orders for Uncle Sam to fill Colt has to put the civilian market on the back burner.

Fodder4U 07-04-2007 08:31 AM

I have one. First post here and saw this thread while searching for AR15 threads to read. I did not realize they are hard to come by. I traded my Colt 1991 Commander and my Ruger mkII .22 pistol for it. What are these things worth?

BrassMonkey 07-04-2007 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fodder4U (Post 3674)
I have one. First post here and saw this thread while searching for AR15 threads to read. I did not realize they are hard to come by. I traded my Colt 1991 Commander and my Ruger mkII .22 pistol for it. What are these things worth?

For one NIB between $1200, and $1400 depending on the buyer.

robocop10mm 07-05-2007 06:58 PM

A-3

Colt initiated a ban on civilian sales before the feds did. The A-3 came out after that ban so none were offered for sale to the public. Most are stamped LE only. Since the federal ban expired, a civilian can legally own a gun stamped LE only. The ones that were sent to dealers were sent with the understanding that they would not be sold to civilians. To get a subsequent shipment of rifles from Colt, the dealer had to send ini proof that the previous shipment had been sold to a LE officer. Usually the dealer made a copy of the officer's ID and sent that to Colt as proof.

Personally the A-3's are too heavy. The full profile heavy barrel makes them very muzzle heavy. There is no need for a barrel that heavy on a semi-auto rifle. It simply will not get that hot.

creston 07-09-2007 12:49 PM

gun shows have lots of ar-15s

Quote:

Originally Posted by janiesgotagun (Post 982)
Why is so hard to get a hold of Colt AR-15 A3? If anyone knows where I could get one, that would be fantastic.

AR-15s are all over the place.
you just dont know whare to look
:)
gun shows hapen in every major city about every other month
and in small towns twice a year. go to google or another surch engine
and type in gun show and the name of your town.
also go to creigslist.com and post a free ad for sporting goods wanted ar
surf the net ar-15 stuff all over.

FALPhil 07-10-2007 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creston (Post 4134)
AR-15s are all over the place.
you just dont know whare to look
:)
gun shows hapen in every major city about every other month
and in small towns twice a year. go to google or another surch engine
and type in gun show and the name of your town.
also go to creigslist.com and post a free ad for sporting goods wanted ar
surf the net ar-15 stuff all over.

Creston,

He was asking about a Colt, not a generic AR15. Personally, I don't care for Colt's quality these days, and there are at least 3 brands, if not more, that I would rather have.

Defenseman1A 09-27-2008 01:28 AM

Cotl AR15 A3

I have one that I just decided to sell tonight. Still interested in purchasing one?

SEHunter 01-02-2010 02:26 PM

Hope its not bad forum edicate to bring up old threads but its related to my question of the difference between Colt LE and MT models. Are their any Colt guys that can help me with this?