Co-witness question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Co-witness question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default Co-witness question

My Carbine should be here any day and I needed a rear sight , so I bought a Magpul MBUS rear , My question is will I be able to Co-witness thru a Primary Arms microdot with this setup or is it to small ? It says lower 1/3 on the ad but I want to know from someone using that setup that it works.
If you believed everything you read the world would be a 110% happy place

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5818 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 402

well if your referring to co-witness when looking through the sights and the sights and dot are on the poa at the same time while looking through both, then No. your dot will be above the target when using irons and your irons under the target when using the dot.

i prefer absolute co-witness when both are poa at the same time. magpul mbus height is 1.5" above rail. heights are typically measured to the center of the optic. so you would need a mount that puts the center level with the sights

got a link to the sight your looking at??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-20-2011 at 02:13 AM.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #3

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Kill_Flash_PA_Ris_p/md08pariserbundle.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
well if your referring to co-witness when looking through the sights and the sights and dot are on the poa at the same time while looking through both, then No. your dot will be above the target when using irons and your irons under the target when using the dot.

i prefer absolute co-witness when both are poa at the same time. magpul mbus height is 1.5" above rail. heights are typically measured to the center of the optic. so you would need a mount that puts the center level with the sights

got a link to the sight your looking at??

Old 12-20-2011, 02:20 AM   #4

I guess my question is is it going to fall in the lower 1/3 with irons on the front and theh MBUS on the back ? absolute would be great but if it works Im not going to be that picky for the price .

Old 12-20-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5818 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 402

from looking at their page it doesnt come with a mount. the drop down has a absolute co-witness addon for 40$ i could be reading it wrong. you might want to call them and ask

ive got the vortex sparc and strikefire. the sparc comes with mounts for 1/3 and absolute. the strikefire comes with an absolute or no mount.

military arms channel on youtube has a sparc review and order code for 20$ off from 3 rivers precision. one of the vendors for the forum here might be able to beat both prices

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-20-2011 at 02:36 AM.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 AM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The pa model comes with alow mount, unsuitable for use on a conventional ar flatop.

You much opt for an additional mount. Thbe qd mount by pa is for a lower 1/3 co witness.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
The pa model comes with alow mount, unsuitable for use on a conventional ar flatop.

You much opt for an additional mount. Thbe qd mount by pa is for a lower 1/3 co witness.
I did get the PA QD mount for it , I just wonder if the extra $40 is worth it for the absolute ? What ya think I can call and get my order changed before it ships this morning

Old 12-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #8

I'm pretty sure you can.

I prefer lower 1/3 over Absolute.

Hey that sounds like a drink.......

Old 12-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #9

The difference is pretty small, my belief is that the best system would be more closely suited to you physical attributes.

How tall and what size hat do you wear. Is you head the size of a grapfruit or watermelon ? O.o

Lol I kid.

An absolute is more suited to smaller heads. Lower 1/3 for bigger heads imo. A consistent check weld must be practiced and developed first for you to even form an opinion. Don't stress too much about it.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #10

Liked 1038 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1037

I haven't worked with those RDS/mounts you ordered but with my TRS-25 and a tall mount I get a bottom 1/3 cowitness with my MBUS, which I like for zeroing as the dot is lollipoped on the A2 front sight when I look through the aperture. If I look over the rear sight the dot is floating above the front sight, maybe at a top 1/3. If I flip down the MBUS the dot is in the center of the glass. Is this how you want to set up your RDS purehavoc?

Of course as AgentTikki pointed out I do have to change my cheek weld to move the dot around. Normally of course the MBUS is down because the dot is much dimmer when you look through the aperture.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.