CMMG and WASP questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > CMMG and WASP questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CMMG and WASP questions

I just bought (10 days until I can pick it up) a CMMG gas piston AR. It has a 16" 1/9 barrel with WASP. I would have preferred a 1/7 chromed, but that was not available. I could not find much on this set up and would love to hear from anyone who has had some experience with it.

I would especially like to hear about this "WASP" substitute for chroming- how is it to clean, how does it last, does it need any special break in?

I'm getting it set up with Troy folding irons, a RR two-stage trigger, sling swivels and a Hogue grip. I also plan on putting the EOTech off my Mini on it.

I'm really looking forward to shooting this thing, but I am a bit nervous about how new it is. This is also my first AR since the Army 30+ years ago, so any advice would be welcome!

TIA, Mike

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, you certainly don't have any problems in the "taste" category... LOL

The CMMG system is pretty new. I am going to be shocked, quite frankly, if anyone here has one. They have been back-ordered for quite awhile, and they are spendy, as I am sure you know. So, you will probably be the first and it would be most beneficial if you could provide some information to the rest of us. A range report and some general impressions, perhaps?

Okay, I have not shot the rifle. It was displayed at SHOT this year and I did get to handle it and listen a little to the schpeel from the saleman.

CMMG is outsourcing the piston system to someone else, I can't quite remember the name, something like RNR or BNB, but I had never heard of them. It's supposed to be a partnership between the companies, and not a "low bidder" contract for "X" number of units.

WASP - I think I remember, stands for Weapons Armament System Protection. It's, essentially, just their version of a proprietary finish like Robar's NP3.

Supposedly the WASP is stronger & more durable than standard chrome/chroming and is far less likely to "ever" wear out. They didn't have any "proof" of that at the show, but they did a chart that showed some time of the surface treatment going against salt water spray. I don't remember the time frame or the results except that it was supposed to hold up well.

To be honest, I never thought to ask about break in on the weapon. I don't know why, I just didn't bother to ask.

So, I would suggest getting in contact with CMMG directly for break in information so you can stay within your "warranty".

As for your add on's - Have you seen the Yankee Hill Machine Folding sights? They might be a bit more cost effective for you if you are interested. Troy makes some nice stuff, but they also charge for their name on the product.

I have the RRA Two Stage on my current project and really like it. A truly great trigger.

Look forward to hearing about the shooting impressions and a range report if you would so kind.

JD

Old 08-17-2008, 03:29 AM   #3

Thanks JD.

Yes, it was spendy- the dealer already had the Troys on there, and I'd read they were good (and didn't know what else to ask for) so I kept them. I guess if I don't name the dealer I can mention the price- $1825 (including CA sales tax and associated fees) out the door with everything installed and 1 10 rd mag. I've been told that's cheap for a piston AR, and I really wanted to try a piston. I think I got a pretty good deal, especially considering you can't find them anywhere, but after reading more here, I sure could have saved a lot of $$ putting together a regular AR.

BTW- speaking of taste, I came across your build of a long range tactical on a pre-64 Model 60 action- Wow! I did wonder though why you were going to change out the barrel?

Range report will be along ASAP- I am very eager to see how this thing shoots since it is by far my most expensive rifle! (I did pay more for my Wilson CQB, but I knew what I was getting with that)

Last edited by GPAR; 08-17-2008 at 07:16 AM.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #4

The CMMG stuff is well made and the demand has exceeded the supply for now.

Get over chrome lined..it lessens accuracy and is for better wear in a machine gun only.

If your desire for a 1/7 is for specific bullet weight that would be valid but NOBODY from LEO to US Military will accept new production guns, semi or machinegun with a 1/7 barrel...all current call for 1/9 for improved accuracy.

You will be pleased with CMMG's products...sounds like a fun build with good accessories !

Old 08-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPAR View Post
Thanks JD.

Yes, it was spendy- the dealer already had the Troys on there, and I'd read they were good (and didn't know what else to ask for) so I kept them. I guess if I don't name the dealer I can mention the price- $1825 (including CA sales tax and associated fees) out the door with everything installed and 1 10 rd mag. I've been told that's cheap for a piston AR, and I really wanted to try a piston. I think I got a pretty good deal, especially considering you can't find them anywhere, but after reading more here, I sure could have saved a lot of $$ putting together a regular AR.

BTW- speaking of taste, I came across your build of a long range tactical on a pre-64 Model 60 action- Wow! I did wonder though why you were going to change out the barrel?

Range report will be along ASAP- I am very eager to see how this thing shoots since it is by far my most expensive rifle! (I did pay more for my Wilson CQB, but I knew what I was getting with that)
Sounds good GPAR - I look forward to getting the range report and hearing about the operational impressions.

Yeah, you kind of broke the piggy bank on that purchase, but I wouldn't sweat it. They are pretty rare right now, so you are paying for that too. With the full build out weapon, and the components you have listed, you can always move it down the line if you ever need too. I am sure the weapon will treat you really well and be the envy of the other booths at the local range.

You can definitely build a gas system for cheaper, but building a piston driven system would probably require you to purchase the upper anyways. We haven't built a piston system yet, and I don't see it happening any time soon to be honest. The prices are still pretty steep, and the only call for it is for guys interested in the operational capabilities over the gas system, and from guys slated to go to the sandbox for independent firms.

We know a guy, well Brett knows him and I know him from the shop, who is in the 'Stan now who has a piston M4, with a thread on version of the same new suppressor that I gave the sneak peak on. From the last report, which admittedly has been like 4 months now has had no problems getting the weapon on target and smoking should the need arise. His "field" report of the piston driven weapon was "It runs like a tank". His is a shorty though, so I don't know about the accuracy.

As for The Judge, thanks for the kudos - We tried a new configuration with the barrel, the Delta, which was supposed to be more structurally sound than a classic, thin barrel. It's fine, but I honestly would prefer something with a bit more meat to it, and I really want to try one of the Mike Rock 5R's out on my own gun. We have put about a dozen on tactical builds and the range reports have been VERY impressive. Group sizes are very, very good - so of course I "need" to try one out for myself... LOL But, that is a project for income tax time, or if the money tree in the backyard ever takes root.

JD

Old 08-19-2008, 12:15 AM   #6

Dgunsmith, Yes, I wanted the option of using heavier bullets. Since I've been reading more here and at AR15 dot com I've seen a lot of guys talking about heavy bullets out of a 1/9. One guy said he was shooting 72gr- of course, he WAS complaining about 3" groups

JD, thanks for the response. I think my time for that kind of precision shooting has passed- thank God- I don't think my bank account could handle it!

Anybody got one of the POF pistons? I sure wish I'd done a bit more studying before I bought this (still hoping for the best!). I did do quite a bit and most of what I read seemed to say most AR's were pretty interchangeable, so I decided to go for it. Then when I learned about the piston guns (and knew I wanted one- I HATED cleaning my 16 in the service) I couldn't find anything on them.

That POF sure looks like a piece of work if it does half what they say! And, of course, it's just a few dollars more- why is everything always "just a few dollars more"?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #7

Default cmmg wasp 1/9 ar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPAR View Post
I just bought (10 days until I can pick it up) a CMMG gas piston AR. It has a 16" 1/9 barrel with WASP. I would have preferred a 1/7 chromed, but that was not available. I could not find much on this set up and would love to hear from anyone who has had some experience with it.

I would especially like to hear about this "WASP" substitute for chroming- how is it to clean, how does it last, does it need any special break in?

I'm getting it set up with Troy folding irons, a RR two-stage trigger, sling swivels and a Hogue grip. I also plan on putting the EOTech off my Mini on it.

I'm really looking forward to shooting this thing, but I am a bit nervous about how new it is. This is also my first AR since the Army 30+ years ago, so any advice would be welcome!

TIA, Mike
i have the same ar and it shoots just as good as any of my other ones awsome gun have not had any trouble with different grain bullets yet wasp coating as far as breakin john didnt tell me to do anything just shoot it i do not care for the clip that came with mine the bullets get caught up all the time all my other clips no problem so i no its not the feeding ramp good luck with it you should be happy