Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   CMMG or Spikes Tactical? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/cmmg-spikes-tactical-33433/)

indyfan 10-23-2010 04:19 PM

CMMG or Spikes Tactical?

I'm purchasing my first AR, I'm looking to spend about 800.00, my local dealer has a CMMG M4 with Magpul flip rear sight for 799.99.

I just don't know enough about the CMMG rifle to really go forward with the purchase. My friends keep telling me to get a Spikes Tactical M4 because it's Battle Proven. Only problem is the Spikes rifle will take 3-4 weeks to get delivered and I really would like to get my rifle right away. (instant gratification, yes I'm selfish)

So what do you think I should go with? Spikes M4 or CMMG M4? Both cost about the same price.

Quentin 10-23-2010 04:46 PM

You'll be glad you waited for the Spikes over the CMMG. Take a look at their midlengths too. I'd also look at BCM, they cost a bit more but are better than Spikes and we're talking about only a couple hundred and a couple weeks vs. something you can be proud of for a lifetime.

556plinker 10-23-2010 10:41 PM

I have two cmmg uppers on double star lowers and no problems to date (1000 rounds) For 800$ with a sight, thats not a bad deal. Quentin is right but it just comes down to money. If I was going to Afghanistan, I would probably be thinking a little more about my decision. Coyotes, plinking, home defense....I think you are okay with the cmmg or Quentins suggestions. IMHO Quentin is pretty much the go-to man in this forum....a long with a few others.

mjkeat 10-23-2010 11:00 PM

Either of the two would suite you fine Im sure but the BCM is warfighter quality for not much more as Quentin stated.

Dillinger 10-23-2010 11:10 PM

I think it's 6 of one or half dozen of the other. They are about a wash in the realm of AR's.

CMMG has been around since about 2002 or so, they got "big" about 2004. I have their .22 Conversion kit and it is well made and have had no issues with it.

Spikes has been around a while as well, maybe 6-8 years, I don't know for sure. They are big in the billet world of AR uppers & lowers, that is their meat and potatoes.

Apples to Apples, I would say the Spikes stuff is a little bit better, but not by a tremendous amount. I don't know the construction of the CMMG upper, but as long as it's good aluminum and not pot metal crap made in China, it is just slightly less "awesome" than a billet one from Spikes. :cool:

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

JD

CaseyChadwell 10-24-2010 12:01 AM

I know that this isn't what you are looking at, however, Buds in Lexington Kentucky has Double Star M4s for 649.99 with a HBAR barrel. I know that I am more than pleased with the way mine shoots (although I am looking to trade it for a Mini). I get great groups and never had a failure of any kind. I am just speaking of the uppers, as I have a upper on a Oly lower. Just thought I would share that there are other AR makers out there that are of great quality. I can't speak of the other two companies though....

Hope that isn't too confusing....

indyfan 10-24-2010 04:51 AM

thanks for the input guys, researching more now

Quentin 10-24-2010 05:10 AM

Thanks for the kind words, 556plinker! But there are a lot of go-to guys here including JD and Slo and yourself. I try to help but whadaya expect from Barney Fife! :D

Anyway, good advice from many posters here indyfan so it's hard to go wrong with the choices you posed. I don't in any way hate CMMG, just think for the same money I'd wait for the better rifle.

indyfan 10-24-2010 05:39 AM

what do you guys think about DPMS?

Quentin 10-24-2010 02:05 PM

DPMS sells lots of ARs and most of them work but you'd be making a step down from CMMG. Definitely look at their specs and compare against the ones we've discussed so far. One DPMS spec that often isn't discovered until you take it out to the range - they don't use an F-marked FSB so if you buy a third party rear sight instead of their shorter one you'll have a heck of a time zeroing. :eek: I went through this with my ArmaLite but fortunately you can buy a taller screw-in front post.

Hey indy we don't want to talk you out of an AR that you can have in your hands today and CMMG is all right. But in the long run I can guarantee that you'll be very glad if you slow down, do a lot of research, determine exactly what you want - then buy - or build. I took months getting up to speed before buying and it was painful waiting but I got a better rifle than the first one I wanted to buy off the rack. By then I knew I had to build it myself like so many here do. It's really worth reading the stickies here then give a lot of thought to exactly what type of AR you want.