Cmmg
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Cmmg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cmmg

I was looking at a CMMG Ar 15 and found i could get it for 800 bucks. I already own a M&P15 that hasdone me good. I just want to know how they compare to S&W and Bushmaster.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
I was looking at a CMMG Ar 15 and found i could get it for 800 bucks. I already own a M&P15 that hasdone me good. I just want to know how they compare to S&W and Bushmaster.
LOL, here we go.

DO NOT SPEND $800 on anything unless its a BCM or comparable AR.

S&W seems to hold its own. Bushmaster = BM = Bawl Movement.

I have a CMMG dedicated .22 upper that has an out of spec rail. This has caused my optic mount to wobble slightly. If it were anything other than a .22 I would have sent it back.

You get what you pay for. They should say "you get less than you pay for" or "you get more than you pay for." Its usually one or the other w/ ARs. Meaning you can spend $800-900 on a hit or miss BM or spend the same on a BCM you know will run each and every time.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #3

Liked 1021 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1017

I agree with mjkeat, your M&P-15 is a pretty darn good AR while CMMG and BM is going down a notch. Not that they're horrible but a cut below S&W.

CMMG used to be highly thought of a couple years ago but $800-900 can get you so much more today.

And... you already have a factory AR so how about building your second!

Anyway, your second AR should be at least as good as your first.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #4

I hear a lot of different opinions on cmmg products, some good some bad. I guess its a toss up what you will get.I have a cmmg a3 upper om my ar and it does me just fine, rail is in spec and everything fits and works fine. The only gripe i have is the finish is a little weak. I say look around at what you can get for your price range and then make a decision. DPMS has a few nice AR's around your price range check them out if you havent already.

A person who owns a firearm is a free man,A person who dosen't is a slave to there Country.Think about it.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #5

Ok no CMMG, so what brand do you recommend for 1000 to 1500. My plan is to use my M&P for hunting hogs at night(night vision and suppressor) and to find another ar to take its place for day time shooting. And also this time i want one with a heavy barrel.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5747 Times on 3002 Posts
Likes Given: 380

ive got a colt, rra, ruger and dpms. the rra i put together from parts it has 3 different uppers. the only one i wouldnt buy again would be the ruger. not a fan of the piston thing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-21-2011, 02:38 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
Ok no CMMG, so what brand do you recommend for 1000 to 1500. My plan is to use my M&P for hunting hogs at night(night vision and suppressor) and to find another ar to take its place for day time shooting. And also this time i want one with a heavy barrel.
Are hogs your #1? If so I suggest looking into the .300 AAC Blackout. Barrels are readily available while ammo is in trickle mode until after Shot Show. Supersonic ammo is going for $11.99 a box of 20 for 123gr brass cased Remington factory loads.

Wilson, AAC, are making a .300 AAC BLK upper along w/ a few botique-ish shops. You can order the parts and have the upper assembled by ADCO for around $90 if Im not mistaken.

Theres other options as well. 6.8 will work but is more expensive.

.223/5.56 will work but I think it would be more economical and much easier to use something heavier.

Whatever you choose buy a .22 upper for paper. Save the good stuff for the hogs.

Last edited by mjkeat; 01-21-2011 at 02:43 AM.