CMMG .22lr conversion kits , anyone used one?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > CMMG .22lr conversion kits , anyone used one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default CMMG .22lr conversion kits , anyone used one?

I like taking both my boys out shooting one 14 and the other 8 yr, however i just cannot swing letting them send 500 rds a piece down range in a days time , so Im looking at a couple of the CMMG .22lr conversion kits , its the kit that you just swap your mag and bolt out , and It would be alot more affordable to let them shoot a thousand rds in a days time for $40 which is alot more enjoyable for them to shoot and alot easier on my wallet. I found the kits for $129 each which was realtively cheap ,
Anyway anyone have any issues with this kit , I hear they have a few issues but after 50 or so rounds those disappear as the mag wears in .
Lemme know your experience so I can save the big ammo for when its needed

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

they work great. if your kids are using it and loading mags make sure they wear gloves handling the ammo and loading mags a lot of the lead gets atomized and redirected back in the action coating the magazines. kids tend to touch lips eyes food without washing. lead contamination is a very real possibility when younger kids and 22lr are involved.

its not as big an issue with dedicated 22lr as it is with the cmmg conversion. the ar15 gastube brings the junk right back and contaminates the mags

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Spend $20 more and get the stainless model, plus an extra mag free from cdnn. http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2012-1/index.html

Keep it lubed and run decent ammo and your boys won't want to stop shooting. I've been using Winchester 333's or 555's 36gr. HP and I get a fail to fire maybe one out of 150 rounds. The kids will need to learn how to clear the chamber and load another anyway.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Spend $20 more and get the stainless model, plus an extra mag free from cdnn. http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2012-1/index.html

Keep it lubed and run decent ammo and your boys won't want to stop shooting. I've been using Winchester 333's or 555's 36gr. HP and I get a fail to fire maybe one out of 150 rounds. The kids will need to learn how to clear the chamber and load another anyway.
Thanks ordered one tonight

Old 03-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Awesome. I finally got my CMMG 22 out a couple weeks ago. It's fun to shoot cheap.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #6

I ordered the SS model that came with one free mag and I ordered 2 more 25 rd mags to go with it . We will see how this one runs before I end up with 2 of them . Any particular ammo that doesnt run well in them ? I always have a couple thousand rnds of winchester 333 / 555 rd ct .22lr laying around . should I be running copper jacketed CCI .22 lr ammo thru it to help keep lead buildup out of the barrel ? Its really no big deal as I have copper/ lead bore cleaner just wanted to ask a few Q's
Thanks

Old 03-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #7

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've only used Winchester so I don't know about other ammo. What I've heard and what I do after shooting the 22 conversion, is run a mag of .223 through the gun. Doing that supposedly cleans out any buildup in the gas tube. A good bore cleaner should take care of the barrel.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #8

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I ordered the SS model that came with one free mag and I ordered 2 more 25 rd mags to go with it . We will see how this one runs before I end up with 2 of them . Any particular ammo that doesnt run well in them ? I always have a couple thousand rnds of winchester 333 / 555 rd ct .22lr laying around . should I be running copper jacketed CCI .22 lr ammo thru it to help keep lead buildup out of the barrel ? Its really no big deal as I have copper/ lead bore cleaner just wanted to ask a few Q's
Thanks
I can't say as far as conversion units but the Colt dedicated .22lrs like CCI and Federal Value pack. And it gets a few FTFs with Golden Bullet. I've seen many reports the and S&W M&P15-22 does the same.

Anyway let us know how it goes PH. I know you and the boys will have fun!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #9

I tell ya what , that place has some damn good deals, I ended up with the SS kit w/ 1 free mag bought 2 more 25 rd mags and 2 sets of over the head hearing protection shipped for less than $200