Clunky trigger reset after limited field strip

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Clunky trigger reset after limited field strip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Clunky trigger reset after limited field strip

I have a Rock River, and recently broke the gun open clean it. I removed the BCG and charging handle. as well as the buffer & spring, but did not mess with the trigger group.

After reassembly I noticed that the trigger reset seems noticeable clunkier than it was previously. Gun still cycles, trigger pull seems to be the same, but when I keep the trigger pulled to the rear and cycle the action, once I let the trigger out it seems to reset harder, and makes a noise I can only describe as clunky.

Thoughts, comments, concerns? I'm new to the AR, and just want to make sure it isn't something easy before I take it to get it looked at. If there was a rookie mistake to be made, mention it, because I probably made it.

Thanks

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong but it sounds like your rifle is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. I just built my lower and that was one of the function tests required to make sure the disconnector is doing its job.

Best way to check would be to pull your upper off, support the hammer with your thumb DO NOT LET IT DROP ALL THE WAY, pull the trigger and hold then pull your hammer back until it clicks then release the trigger. You should hear a pop/clunk as the hammer releases to i guess you could say "cocked and locked" postion. I would keep your thumb at the ready just in case. If the hammer drops all the way it could damage your lower and then you got problems. When you release the trigger on this test the hammer should not drop all the way, if it does your disconnector is most likely the problem.

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 04-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #3

Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Bighead, excellent advice by Zombie. That test gets your upper out of the equation yet still tests the proper function of the FCG. When you hold back the trigger and cock the hammer the disconnector catches it. When you release the trigger there is a noticable clunk as the disco lets go and the sear catches the hammer. Keep your thumb there to catch just in case.

Very normal, maybe you just didn't notice it so much earlier. Do the test repeatedly and if you can try it on another lower. As long as it works right every time and your trigger pull is the same there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Breaking down the upper and lower shouldn't change the FCG.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys, I've been super busy and haven't had a chance to get on.

From what the local smith says everything is fine, and compared it to noticing something wrong with your car after you've had it in the shop. It's actually the way it always was, you're just sensitive to it.

Thanks again.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 05-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You might want to check if a primer popped out and fell down into the area of the disconnector.