Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   AR-15 Discussion (
-   -   Clip & Magazine (

jd45 01-11-2012 02:27 AM

Clip & Magazine
Hello to all! I wish someone would enlighten me as to the definition of these two terms. They both store ammo in autoloading firearms, right? Is one just a colloquialism, (sic?) & the other an honest-to-God technical term? How about a little help? Thanx, jd45

trip286 01-11-2012 02:34 AM

A clip usually holds ammunition in a strip and aids in loading magazines, which are the boxy thing that inserts into the gun and are full of ammo. Sometimes a stripper clip is used to load ammo into a rifle that is equipped with a fixed, non removable magazine.

firedawg60 01-11-2012 02:36 AM

That pretty much sums it up.

rigjumpr 01-11-2012 02:37 AM

maybe this will help

JonM 01-11-2012 02:38 AM

my simple definition: magazines have springs clips do not. clips load magazines with ammunition.

Paladin201 01-11-2012 03:14 AM

Lot's of definitions.....a clip merely stores cartridges, a magazine feeds them to a weapon.

jjfuller1 01-11-2012 03:19 AM

the term clip is often misused where one should say magazine

mjkeat 01-11-2012 03:20 AM

So what about the clip in the Garand?

trip286 01-11-2012 03:23 AM


Originally Posted by mjkeat
So what about the clip in the Garand?

Enbloc, still has no spring. It basically holds the ammo while the gun feeds itself.

JonM 01-11-2012 03:25 AM


Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 673676)
So what about the clip in the Garand?

it just holds the catridges for the magazine to operate properly then is ejected on the last shot.

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:41 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.