Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   cleaning my AR... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/cleaning-my-ar-52864/)

Broke124 12-01-2011 02:48 PM

cleaning my AR...

Hey guys I'm needing a little input on properly breaking in and maintenance cleaning my AR I'll be building. Is it just like any other long gun as far as cleaning goes? Do I ever need to clean gas port, lower parts, etc..? And once assembled how do I safely test it and how much lubrication is required ?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

mjkeat 12-01-2011 04:53 PM

Shoot the **** out of it, bring it home, put it in the safe.

Safety test it by loading 1 round in the mag then have someone pull the trigger for you, lol. Kidding but seriously load 1 round in the mag and send it down range.

FCross7 12-01-2011 05:07 PM

mj and I have different opinions when it comes to AR maintenance. He doesn't clean his, and they still run fine. Nothing wrong with that, but I like to keep a clean gun, which doesn't both me because I actually enjoy cleaning them.

Don't worry about the gas tube, gas port, fire control group, or buffer. The buffer and fcg can use the very occasional cleaning, but nothing more than that.

The only things that need regular maintenance are the BCG, locking lugs, chamber and barrel. Everyone here will have different ways of accomplishing the same task. Just good AR-15 cleaning and watch a few videos, it will give you a few good ideas.

A few tools that make the process easier for me are a CAT M4 Tool, a chamber brush and chamber brush rod and a bore guide. Others will have different opinions though.

-Fred

Jpyle 12-01-2011 05:33 PM

Basic cleaning is all that is required. Clean the barrel and chamber after use, critical if using polymer coated steel ammo. (Tula, Wolf, etc) Beyond that make sure there is no excessive carbon build-up on the bolt head and firing pin, breakdown the bolt group every thousand rounds or so to clean, inspect and lube the parts.

Keep the bolt "wet" and apply light grease to contact parts. Visually inspect gas tube for "mushrooming," make sure gas key is tight (no problem if properly staked) and make sure gas rings are in good shape. Beyond that AR is a low maintenance, simple design...just keep it lubed and clean and she'll run true.

Broke124 12-01-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat
Shoot the **** out of it, bring it home, put it in the safe.

Safety test it by loading 1 round in the mag then have someone pull the trigger for you, lol. Kidding but seriously load 1 round in the mag and send it down range.

You seriously never clean yours?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

FCross7 12-01-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 641064)
Clean the barrel and chamber after use, critical if using polymer coated steel ammo. (Tula, Wolf, etc)

Oh boy... You better hope mj doesn't see that line.

-Fred

Jpyle 12-01-2011 11:15 PM

Not sure he would disagree. ;) Nothing wrong with the steel cased ammo but you have to clean up the mess before shooting brass.

mjkeat 12-02-2011 03:46 AM

I'm purposly not cleaning mine and running a mixture of brass and steel. At the range I run both but for three gun due to their rules it's brass only.

I just started using a Walmart brand lithium grease. It is everywhere but my ARs run smooth as heck.